Calculating Torque and Rotational Kinetic Energy: Homework Help

• Thread starter vitaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
You need to convert 300 rpm to radians/sec before you plug it into the equation. (Hint: 1 rpm = 2\pi radians/60 sec)
vitaly
I need some help with these two problems:

1. A wheel of radius 30 cm has forces applied to it as shown in the figure below. Find the torque produced by the force of (a) 4 N (b) 9 N (c) 7 N (d) 6 N. See attachment for figure.
(a) = _____1.2 N*m_____ counterclockwise?
(b) = _____2.7 N*m_____ clockwise?
(c) = __________ N*m
(d) = __________ N*m clockwise
For a, I did: (4N)(.3 M ) = 1.2 N*m
for b, (9 N)(.3 M) = 2.7 N*m
for c, I don't know how to solve it if hte force isn't perpendicular.
for d, same as c. Does anybody know how to solve for c and d, and does anybody know if a and b are correct?

2. A wheel, of mass 6 Kg and radius of gyration 40 cm, is rotating at 300 rpm. Find its momentum of inertia and its rotational KE.
I got:
I = mr^2 = (6 Kg)(0.4 m)^2 = 0.96 kg*m^2. Is that right?
And I'm not sure how to find the rotational kinetic energy. Is there an equation I need?

All help is appreciated. thank you

Attachments

• physicsdiagram.bmp
    48.6 KB · Views: 665
Physics news on Phys.org
For the second,what is the moment of inertia of a disk...?

Daniel.

ke

rotational KE is given by 1/2* I * (w^2)
where I is moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity...
wiz

Radius of Gyration does not equal the radius of the disk. You will have to find an equation relating mass, Moment of Intertia, and Radius of Gyration. Hint: It involves a division sign and a square root. From there, it is easy to find your Moment of Interia.

To find the rotational interia, it is basically the same equation for linear, but with circular definitions in. (i.e. rad/s instead of m/s, angular velocity instead of linear velocity)

vitaly said:
1. A wheel of radius 30 cm has forces applied to it as shown in the figure below. Find the torque produced by the force of (a) 4 N (b) 9 N (c) 7 N (d) 6 N. See attachment for figure.
(a) = _____1.2 N*m_____ counterclockwise?
(b) = _____2.7 N*m_____ clockwise?
(c) = __________ N*m
(d) = __________ N*m clockwise
For a, I did: (4N)(.3 M ) = 1.2 N*m
for b, (9 N)(.3 M) = 2.7 N*m
Good.
for c, I don't know how to solve it if hte force isn't perpendicular.
for d, same as c. Does anybody know how to solve for c and d, and does anybody know if a and b are correct?
When the force is not perpendicular to the radius, find the component of the force perpendicular to the radius. (Hint: [itex]F sin\theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle that the force makes with the radius.)

a and b are correct.

2. A wheel, of mass 6 Kg and radius of gyration 40 cm, is rotating at 300 rpm. Find its momentum of inertia and its rotational KE.
I got:
I = mr^2 = (6 Kg)(0.4 m)^2 = 0.96 kg*m^2. Is that right?
This is correct.
And I'm not sure how to find the rotational kinetic energy. Is there an equation I need?
[tex]{KE}_{rot} = 1/2 I \omega^2[/tex]
where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular speed (measured in radians/sec).

What is "Homework Help, Please"?

"Homework Help, Please" is a service that provides assistance to students who need help with their homework or academic assignments. It can range from answering specific questions to providing guidance and resources for completing assignments.

How does "Homework Help, Please" work?

Students can submit their questions or assignments to "Homework Help, Please" and a team of experts will provide them with step-by-step solutions or resources to help them complete their work. The service may also offer live tutoring sessions or one-on-one support for more complex tasks.

Is "Homework Help, Please" free?

It depends on the specific service or platform. Some websites or apps may charge a fee for their homework help services, while others may offer free resources or assistance. It is important to research and compare different options to find one that fits your needs and budget.

What subjects does "Homework Help, Please" cover?

"Homework Help, Please" may cover a wide range of subjects, including math, science, English, history, and more. Some services may specialize in certain subjects or grade levels, so it is important to find one that aligns with your specific needs and academic level.

Is "Homework Help, Please" cheating?

No, "Homework Help, Please" is not cheating. The service is meant to provide assistance and support for students who are struggling with their homework or assignments. It is important to use the resources and solutions provided by the service as a learning tool to improve your understanding and skills, rather than simply copying the answers.