Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help policy

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    Suppose I ask for help with the question:
    7 + 3 = ?

How can you answer this without violating the Holy Global Guidlines?
    "Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    take 7 marbles. put them in a jar. now take 3 more marbles and put them also in the jar. now take out all the marbles and count them

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3
    I put 7 marbles in a jar. But... I had no marbles left!

5. Feb 6, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is there any point to this thread?

We do not do student's homework for them (there are many reasons to this) and so that's why we have guidelines for homework help. If you have a valid point regarding PF rules, then this should be expressed in the feedback forum.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. Feb 6, 2007 #5
    ok. well. lets try with something other than marbles. what do you have alot of around your house?

7. Feb 6, 2007 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the hell?

8. Feb 6, 2007 #7
    yes there is a point to this forum. If someone really does come in distress about something so similar to that what are we supposed to do?

9. Feb 6, 2007 #8
    I have...
    Water?

10. Feb 6, 2007 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, first of all this ain't Philosophy, it's Feedback. So I'm moving it to the appropriate place.

Now on to the question.

Well, as the Divinely Inspired Author of the Holy Homework Help Section of the Most Holy Global Guidelines, allow me to clear it up for you. o:)

An appropriate first response from a helper would be, "What have you done so far, and where did you get stuck?"

11. Feb 6, 2007 #10
    But how would you help a student with this question?

12. Feb 6, 2007 #11
    I was hoping to discuss it in a philosophical vein, but oh well.

I would answer:
    I wrote down 7+3 = ?
    and then I got stuck.

13. Feb 6, 2007 #12

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok.. Please show your thoughts about this question. What have you tried so far?

Edit: MY typing's too slow.. I'll leave this to Tom!

14. Feb 6, 2007 #13
    ok well philospohically... if there is a one step question.... and someone gets stuck... how would u go about helping them
    say 7+3 for example

15. Feb 6, 2007 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To SuckYaD***

I have just banned your account from this website, and I see that our Admin has deleted your posts. You will not be permitted to post obscenities here, and you will not be permitted to browse the Forums using an obscene username.

16. Feb 6, 2007 #15
    OH! I have lots of fingers lying around!

17. Feb 6, 2007 #16
    tom? this is something you can explain. It just seems absurd to not tell people answers when it is so simple. I dont agree with doing peoples homework for them, but this just seems absurd

18. Feb 6, 2007 #17
    It's hard to draw a line and even more to communicate that line to tens of thousands of members with different perceptions. So we just use a blanket rule and it's worked great imo.

19. Feb 6, 2007 #18
    blanket being just dont finish a question for someone?

20. Feb 6, 2007 #19
    blanket being?
    Is this a new life form?

21. Feb 6, 2007 #20
    blanket, COMMA, being the idea that one does not finish questions for someone else

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?