Verifying Calculating Force on Elevator Support Cable

In summary, an elevator with a mass of 1.10e3 is accelerating upward at 0.45 m/s squared. The force acting on the elevator's support cable can be calculated using the equation F=ma, which results in a force of 1.12e4. The general rule for sig figs is to use the same amount as given in the original problem statement. The conversation also mentions a take home test and the use of the internet for questions.
ilkjester
Pretty sure I got it right just going to ask you guys to make sure.

Homework Statement

An elevator with a mass of 1.10e3 accelerates upward at 0.45 m/s squared. What is the force acting on the elevator's support cable?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The 9.8 is for gravity.
f=(1.10e3)(0.45+9.8)
f=1.12e4
I think I got the right amount of sig figs to but I am not to good with those.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

Looks good. The general rule of thumb for the # of sig figs is to look at the original problem; whatever the LOWEST amount of sig. figs. used in the problem statement is, is what you should give your answer in.

Casey

Thanks guys We have a take home test this week and I am feeling pretty good about it. I don't get the whole take home part though because were aloud to use the internet and whatever but if i have any questions ill be sure to ask.

1. What is the purpose of verifying the calculation of force on an elevator support cable?

The purpose of verifying the calculation of force on an elevator support cable is to ensure that the cable can safely support the weight of the elevator and its occupants. This is crucial for the safety of passengers and the proper functioning of the elevator system.

2. How is the force on an elevator support cable calculated?

The force on an elevator support cable is calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the elevator and its occupants, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This calculation takes into account the weight of the elevator and any additional weight from passengers and cargo.

3. What factors can affect the force on an elevator support cable?

Several factors can affect the force on an elevator support cable, including the weight of the elevator and its occupants, the speed and acceleration of the elevator, and any additional weight from cargo or equipment. Other factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact the strength and elasticity of the cable.

4. How often should the calculation of force on an elevator support cable be verified?

The calculation of force on an elevator support cable should be verified regularly, preferably before each use or at least once a month. It is important to also verify the calculation after any changes or modifications are made to the elevator or its components, as this can affect the force on the cable.

5. What are the consequences of an incorrect calculation of force on an elevator support cable?

An incorrect calculation of force on an elevator support cable can lead to serious safety issues, such as the cable breaking or the elevator becoming unstable. This can result in injury or harm to passengers, damage to the elevator, and costly repairs. It is essential to ensure the accuracy of the calculation to prevent any potential accidents or malfunctions.