1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    homework help....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

why mitochondria is called the power house of the cell????
    which is the site for protein syntesis in a cell??

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found out that mitochondria is the site for protein synthesis but I think its kinda wrong....
    Please help!!!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: homework help....

What sources of information on mitochondria have you tried?

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3

I don't understand why people come here for vocab definitions. You know you can look that up on google in like 5 seconds so why even ask us? If you have a science question involving mathematical equations, etc, it would make more sense to post it here.

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is kinda wrong. Protein synthesis occurs both in the mitochondria and in other organelles. There is a particular structure responsible involved that is distributed throughout several organelles including the mitochondria.

I wouldn't classify the mitochondria as a site for protein synthesis but it is the powerhouse because it produces....... something important the cell uses as a source of energy.

6. Sep 19, 2009 #5

I got the idea about mitochondria.......... I think it should be Ribosomes then.....!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook