Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help!

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    Help, anyone. I am very new to this forum and am really here trying to help my son with his wicked 6th grade homework. His teacher is in my opinion, assigning problems that are way too difficult. I was hoping someone here could maybe help. The problem is as follows: The students are given the sequence 1,5,13,25,41,61 and have to come up with an equation to solve the sequence. Any ideas? This should be easy for you all. But for me, who was good at math at one time, this is beyond what I can come up with. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hint: what's the difference between 5 and 1? 13 and 5? 25 and 13? 41 and 25? 61 and 41?
    see the pattern?

oh, and Hi! Welcome to PF!! :smile:

4. Oct 23, 2004 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Hmm, I see a pattern too. Counting up from zero 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20...

5. Oct 23, 2004 #4
    I see the pattern as well, they are all separated by multiples of four, but it's coming up with the equation that is the problem. Any more hints? Maybe it will job something in my distance math past!

6. Oct 23, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sorry about that, I bungled up a bit..

7. Oct 23, 2004 #6
    My mistake everyone,

I am going to post in the homework section. Thanks all. I also stated the problem incorrectly.

debra

8. Oct 23, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From what I can see, the terms fulfill:
    [tex]a_{n}=n^{2}+(n-1)^{2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?