Solving Displacement Without Time

In summary, to derive an equation that solves for displacement without using time, you can use the equations d(t) = vit + 1/2 at^2 and vf = vi + at. By solving for time in the second equation and substituting it into the first equation, you can get an equation that does not include time. This can be written as d = (v^2/2 - uv)/a, where 'a' is acceleration, 'u' is v(initial), 'v' is v(final) and 'd' is displacement.
cheer_chic
We are supposed to derive an equation that solves for displacement that does not use time. We can use these two equations. d(t) = vit + 1/2 at squared. or d(t) = 1/2 (vit + vft) t

It's due tomorrow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Should be a piece o'cake. You have:

d=vit+(1/2)at2

and you also have:

vf=vi+at.

Try to combine those to get the equation you are looking for. If you get stuck, show us how you started and we will help you from there.

Help

I'm not sure if I decoded the equation lines very well... but i think this is how you do it.

Take the second equation and solve for time and then substitute that equation into the first equation and that will get rid of the time.

If I'm not helping at all, watch... (^2 is squared)

d= 1/2 (vit + vft) t (expand t)
= 1/2 (vit^2 + vft^2) (pull out t^2)
= 1/2 t^2 (vi + vf) (multiply both sides by 2)
2d = t^2 (vi +vf) (some rearranging)
t= the square root of (2d /vi+vf)

Now, wherever there is a t in the first equation, substitute the equation that you found...

:)
I hope that is right ...

Tom, I'm not sure that she is allowed to use any other formulas either than the two she is given... Do you agree with my work?

I assume vi = v(intial) and vf = v(final), usually v(initial) is denoted as 'u' and v(final) as 'v'.

It's a very simple equation, it's a simple case of re-arranging one of the equations and substitung it into the other, you should be able to do it yourself but for your reference the answer is:

d = (v2/2 - uv)/a

What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction an object has moved from its original position.

How is displacement typically measured?

Displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or feet.

What is the formula for solving displacement without time?

The formula for solving displacement without time is displacement = final position - initial position.

Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if the final position is to the left or below the initial position. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction from its initial position.

Can displacement be solved without knowing the time?

Yes, displacement can be solved without knowing the time if the final and initial positions are known. However, knowing the time can help calculate other variables such as velocity and acceleration.