Physics Unit 3 Magnetism: Troublesome Diagram

In summary, the questions are on the Magnetic Fields, Forces and Induction, but they have different images, so any help would be great.
Lorax
Hello I've run into quite a few crappy diagram questions on my Homework assignment due tomorrow.

All of the questions are from my school's (Central High Sedgewick) webpage. The teacher thought she'd be sly and hide the answers on some of these questions.

The webpage is this...

http://www.brsd.ab.ca/chsp/science/sr_high/physics/phys_30_practice.html

They are all on Unit 3 Magnetism... but different sections. This Homework assignment could really boost my overall mark and just some help would be great.

Questions:

The Magnetic Field #: 26, 32, 60, 95
Magnetic Forces #: 24,53
Electromagnetic Induction #:33

I'm going to be working on them throughout the night, let me just comment that I KNOW the material and I answered every other question on the worksheet but these just have some really crappy images, that are hard for me to dipict. So ANY help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
26 is easy...think of the analogue of the force of an electric dipole on a positive test charge. I think that is valid...

for 26, for the magnetic field, the compass needle will be in a parallel position to the bar magnet and the North Pole of the needle will point towards the East

for 32(magnetic field). This is a horse-shoe magnet. The direction of Magnetic field is from North to South. From the diagram, the arrow is pointing Eastwards. So, North is on the left and South pole is on the right.

for 60(magnetic field), the shape of magnetic field take the form of concentric circles surrounding the wire. So, you should draw concentric circles to show the shape.

Using the Thumb Rule, the direction of this field is clockwise

for 95(magnetic field). There is an attractive force induced on the bar magnet when the switch is closed, which moves the bar magnet closer to the solenoid.

Hope that the above helps you out. I just had a glance at it.

1. What is the purpose of the "troublesome diagram" in Physics Unit 3 Magnetism?

The "troublesome diagram" in Physics Unit 3 Magnetism is a visual representation of magnetic fields and their interactions with various objects. It is used to help students understand and visualize the complex concepts of magnetism.

2. How can I interpret the symbols and arrows in the diagram?

The symbols and arrows in the troublesome diagram represent the direction and strength of magnetic fields. The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of the magnetic field, while the length of the arrow represents the strength of the field. The symbols represent different objects and their interactions with the magnetic field.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when interpreting the troublesome diagram?

Some common mistakes students make when interpreting the troublesome diagram include confusing the direction of the magnetic field, misinterpreting the strength of the field based on the length of the arrow, and not understanding the symbols for different objects. It is important to carefully read the key and pay attention to the direction and length of the arrows in order to accurately interpret the diagram.

4. How can I use the troublesome diagram to solve problems in magnetism?

The troublesome diagram can be used to solve problems in magnetism by helping students visualize and understand the interactions between magnetic fields and objects. By accurately interpreting the symbols and arrows in the diagram, students can determine the direction and strength of magnetic fields, as well as the resulting forces on objects.

5. Are there any tips for understanding the troublesome diagram more easily?

Some tips for understanding the troublesome diagram more easily include carefully reading and understanding the key, practicing interpreting the symbols and arrows, and relating the diagram to real-life examples. It may also be helpful to break down the diagram into smaller sections and focus on one concept at a time.