1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework help.

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    Homework help. (Solved)

A golf ball is hit at ground level. The ball is observed to reach its maximum height above ground level 4.3s after being hit. 1.2s after reaching this maximum height, the ball is observed to barely clear a fence taht is 309 ft from where it was hit. The accelerration of gravity is 32 ft/s^2. How high is the fence? Answer in units of ft.

The horizontal velocity is constant and 56.18 as defined as distance over time. The vertical velocity is variable but I found the instantaneous velocity (137.6) in an attempt to find the initial angle. I am stumped. I keep coming up with values around 200 ft and that doesn't seem possible.

[edit] Solution is 272.8 [/edit]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2
    Could you show your work? If you show it we could probably point out what you did wrong.

But I assume you are using the basic mechanics equations? The one you probably would want to start with is v-final^2 = v-initial^2 + 2*g*h.

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A ball that rises for 4.3 seconds before reaching maximum height is going to go pretty high. In another 1.2 seconds it is not going to fall terribly far. You might feel better about your answer if you calculatied the maximum height of the ball as well as the height of the fence.

5. Jun 15, 2005 #4
    But it is not hit straight up, it is hit at an angle. If it is hit at a low enough angle, it could rise to only 10 feet in that time.

Ignore my previous post, i was wrong. You want v-final = v-initial + g*t. Calculate the inital vertical velocity and then you should be able to go from there. Assuming I didn't mess up again.

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5
    Regardless of angle, you must have adequate vertical velocity in order to RISE for 4.3 seconds.

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6
    Ah. True. I'm not thinking, it's almost midnight here. Now that you mention it, it will go up a significant amount. sterlinghubbard, one thing you also want to think about is that books don't always have the most realistic answers. I remember a calc problem with a 6.5 foot tall thief running as fast as an olympic sprinter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?