Calculating Acceleration on a Different Planet | Homework Mass Problem

In summary, an astronaut on a faraway planet exerts an upward force of 49.5 N on a rock with a mass of 4.40 kg and a weight of 40.0 N. Using the formula F_net = ma, the astronaut can find the acceleration of the rock by subtracting the weight from the upward force and dividing by the mass. In this case, the acceleration is 1.2375 m/s2.
XPX1

Homework Statement

On a planet far, far away, an astronaut picks up a rock. The rock has a mass of 4.40 kg, and on this particular planet its weight is 40.0 N. If the astronaut exerts an upward force of 49.5 N on the rock, what is its acceleration?

Magnitude _____m/s2
Direction
up
down

Homework Equations

Acceleration = Velocity/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the rock is moving in the upward direction, because the force applied to the rock is more than its mass. One thing that I do not understand however, is how to find the acceleration. I am given the velocity, 49.5 but I do not get the time. How can I figure out the time knowing that the velocity is 49.5 and the rock weighs 40 N?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone got any ideas on this?

Think about it this way.
The key law that you're supposed to use is that the net force on an object = its mass times its acceleration, or F = ma...
Now, you have 2 forces, one acting up and one acting down...
Read between the lines. :)

Well if F = ma then

49.5 = 40a

49.5/40= a

a = 1.2375 but the answer is not correct, what did I do wrong!?

How much force would the astronaut have to exert to keep it in equilibrium?

XPX1 said:
Well if F = ma then

49.5 = 40a

49.5/40= a

a = 1.2375 but the answer is not correct, what did I do wrong!?
No, it's F_net =ma. The 49.5N force acts up, and the gravity force (weight)acts down. So what is F-net??

So 49.5-40! = Fnet Fnet = 9.5

9.5/4.40 = a?

Ah I see thanks I got it right!

What is a "Homework Mass Question"?

A "Homework Mass Question" is a term used to describe a type of homework assignment that involves calculating and solving problems related to mass or weight. This can include tasks such as converting units, finding density, or using equations like F=ma.

Why is it important to practice "Homework Mass Questions"?

Practicing "Homework Mass Questions" helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also reinforces knowledge and understanding of concepts related to mass and weight, which are important in fields such as science, engineering, and mathematics.

What are some common topics covered in "Homework Mass Questions"?

Common topics covered in "Homework Mass Questions" include units of measurement such as grams, kilograms, and pounds, calculating density, using Newton's laws of motion, and converting between different units of mass and weight.

How can I improve my performance on "Homework Mass Questions"?

To improve your performance on "Homework Mass Questions", it is important to review and understand the relevant concepts, formulas and equations. Practice solving problems related to mass and weight, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

Are there any online resources available for "Homework Mass Questions"?

Yes, there are many online resources available for "Homework Mass Questions". These can include practice problem sets, interactive tutorials and videos, and online forums where students can ask and answer questions related to mass and weight. Some useful websites for "Homework Mass Questions" include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Study.com.