Calculating Crate Acceleration: Force, Friction, and Net Force

In summary, the acceleration of the 210-kg crate being pushed with a force of 730N and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.19 is 1.6141 m/s^2.
Larrytsai
A 210-kg crate is pushed horizontally with a force of 730N. If the coefficient of the kinetic friction is 0.19, calculate the acceleration of the crate.

Attempt: FN= 2058

Ff=0.19(391)
Force of friction= 391N

Fnet= Fpush-Ff

ma= Fpush - Ff
2058a = 730 - 391

a=339/2058

can anyone check if my answers right, and if I am wrong explain how to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org

ok, first, i assume this is just a typo but you wrote Ff=0.19(391), but Ff = .19*2058, which i assume is 391.
now more importantly, you say "ma= Fpush - Ff" which is correct but "2058a = 730 - 391" is not. Remember it's m*a for the left part, while you have FN*a

Simple method:

Force by push - force by friction = mass of block *acceleration.

730-.19*(210*9.8) = 210 * a
>338.98= 210 * a
>a= 338.98/210= 1.6141 m/s^2

1. What is the formula for calculating crate acceleration?

The formula for calculating crate acceleration is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the crate.

2. How do I calculate the net force on a crate?

The net force on a crate can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the crate, including the force of gravity, applied forces, and frictional forces.

3. How does friction affect crate acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can decrease the acceleration of a crate by reducing the net force acting on it. The amount of friction depends on the surface the crate is sliding on and the weight of the crate.

4. Can the acceleration of a crate be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a crate can be negative if the net force is in the opposite direction of the motion. This means the crate is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction.

5. How can I increase the acceleration of a crate?

To increase the acceleration of a crate, you can increase the net force acting on it by applying a stronger force or decreasing the friction, for example by using a smoother surface or reducing the weight of the crate.