Homework on permanent magnets

In summary: For the force vs. distance, I can use the equation F(x) = πμ0M2R4(1/x^2 + 1/(x+2t)^2 - 2/(x+t)^2).In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of finding the magnetic field strength, magnetic force on ferromagnetic objects, and force vs. distance and material thickness for permanent magnets. The formulas used include F = μ0 H2A/2, F(x) = 3πμ0M2R4t2/x^4, and F(x) = πμ0M2R4(1/x^2 + 1/(x+2t)^2 - 2/(x+t)^
Artemirr

Homework Statement

I want to find this:

C magnetic field strength of magnets
C magnetic force on ferromagnetic object
C force vs. distance
C force vs. material thickness (shielding)

Various metal objects of varrying thickness's
I have a scale
I have two permanent magnets
Dimensions:
Height = 0.41cm = 0.0041m
Diameter = 1.8 cm = 0.018 m
Area = πr² = π(0.009m)²
Area = 2.5∊-4 m²
Volume = πr²(h)
Volume = 1.03∊-6 m³

Collected data =d =distance (mm)|mass=(g)
d0, 235g
d1, 122g
d2, 90g
d3, 64g
d4, 44g
d5, 28g

Homework Equations

F={{\mu q_{m1} q_{m2}}\over{4\pi r^2}}

A is the area of each surface, in m2
H is their magnetizing field, in A/m
μ0 is the permeability of space, which equals 4π×10−7 T·m/A
B is the flux density, in T.

F=\frac{\mu_0 H^2 A}{2} = \frac{B^2 A}{2 \mu_0}

B0 is the magnetic flux density very close to each pole, in T,
A is the area of each pole, in m2,
L is the length of each magnet, in m,
R is the radius of each magnet, in m, and
x is the separation between the two magnets, in m.

F(x) = \frac{\pi\mu_0}{4} M^2 R^4 \left[\frac{1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{(x+2t)^2} - \frac{2}{(x + t)^2}\right]

B0 = μ0M

The effective magnetic dipole can be written as

m = MV

Where V is the volume of the magnet. For a cylinder, this is V = πR2t.

When t < < x, the point dipole approximation is obtained,

F(x) = \frac{3\pi\mu_0}{2} M^2 R^4 t^2\frac{1}{x^4} = \frac{3\mu_0}{2\pi} M^2 V^2\frac{1}{x^4} = \frac{3\mu_0}{2\pi} m_1 m_2\frac{1}{x^4}

I am thinking I may need to gather more data in order to find what I am looking for.

The Attempt at a Solution

Force vs Distance graph has been done as for the others I am not sure what formulas to use or how to gather the information, from a permanent magnet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I will need to measure the magnetic force on different material thicknesses and see how the force changes with distance and thickness. For the magnetic field strength of magnets, I know that B0 = μ0M, so I can calculate the magnetic field strength by measuring the magnet's mass and volume. For the magnetic force on ferromagnetic objects, I think I can use the equation F = μ0 H2A/2, where μ0 is the permeability of space, H is their magnetizing field, and A is the area of each surface. For the force vs. material thickness (shielding), I can use the equation F(x) = 3πμ0M2R4t2/x^4, where M is the magnetization, R is the radius of the magnet, and t is the thickness of the material.

1. What are permanent magnets?

Permanent magnets are objects that produce a magnetic field without the need for external sources. They are made of ferromagnetic materials such as iron, cobalt, and nickel, and retain their magnetism even when not in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How do permanent magnets work?

Permanent magnets work by aligning the magnetic domains within the material. These domains are small regions within the material where the atoms have their magnetic fields aligned in the same direction. When these domains are aligned, they create a strong magnetic field around the magnet.

3. What are some common uses for permanent magnets?

Permanent magnets have a wide range of uses, including in electric motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic storage devices such as hard drives. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in everyday objects like refrigerator magnets and magnetic toys.

4. How are permanent magnets made?

Permanent magnets are made by exposing ferromagnetic materials to a strong magnetic field, which aligns the magnetic domains within the material. The material is then heated and cooled to "freeze" the domains in place, creating a permanent magnet. Different manufacturing methods, such as pressing, sintering, or injection molding, can also be used to create different shapes and sizes of magnets.

5. Can permanent magnets lose their magnetism?

While permanent magnets are designed to retain their magnetism, they can lose some or all of their magnetism over time due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures, strong external magnetic fields, and physical damage. However, proper care and storage can help prolong the lifespan of a permanent magnet.