What Is the Difference Between Average Speed and Average Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the average velocity of a person who jogs eight laps around a 400m track in 13.5 minutes. The solution involves dividing the total distance by the total time, resulting in an average velocity of 3.95 m/s. The conversation also clarifies the difference between average speed and average velocity.
sprinter08

Homework Statement

A person jogs eight complete laps around a 400m track in a total time of 13.5 minutes. Calculate, in m/s the average velocity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I knew how to do this, but I think I just figured out the average speed. This is what I did:

400x8= 3200m

13.5/1 x 60sec./1 min= 810 seconds

3200m divided by 810 sec.= 3.95 m/sec

Physics news on Phys.org
At the end of the eight laps the person is where they started, so the final displacement is 0. Since velocity is defined as displacement divided by time, time is irrelevant, and the average velocity is 0 also.

You're correct, you've calculated the average speed.

Thank you!

1. What is basic motion?

Basic motion is the movement of an object in a straight line at a constant speed.

2. What are the main equations used in basic motion problems?

The main equations used in basic motion problems are the displacement equation (x = xo + v0t + ½at^2), the velocity equation (v = v0 + at), and the acceleration equation (a = Δv/Δt).

3. How do I solve a basic motion problem?

To solve a basic motion problem, you will need to identify the given variables, choose the appropriate equation, and plug in the values to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to keep track of units and use the correct equations for the given situation.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is changing its position. Velocity takes into account the direction of the object's motion, while speed does not.

5. How does acceleration impact basic motion?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. In basic motion, if there is no acceleration, the object will continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line. However, if there is acceleration, the object's velocity will change, causing its motion to be more complex.