1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HOMEWORK PROBLEM PLEASE HELP! Projectile

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A model rocket blasts off from the ground, rising straight upward with a constant acceleration that has a magnitude of 79.0 m/s2 for 1.90 seconds, at which point its fuel abruptly runs out. Air resistance has no effect on its flight. What maximum altitude (above the ground) will the rocket reach?

2. S=.5at2^2

3. The attempt at a solution

S= .5(79)(1.90)2
    =142.595

S=142.595^2/(2*9.8)
    =1037.42

142.595+1037.42=1080m.... only 3 sig figs

It says its wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The second displacement is wrong. Find the velocity after 1.9 seconds. That will be the initial velocity for the second stage. Final velocity of the second stage is zero.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    I don't understand the second equation. Clearly it is from [tex]v^{2} = u^{2} + 2as[/tex], giving [tex]s = u^{2} / 2g[/tex].
    But why are you substituting the earlier displacement into u?

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    You need to find the velocity of the rocket when the fuel gives out. Then you can use the free fall equation for the second part of the trip (only g accel). Max height V final = 0 m/s and remember that the initial velocity needs to be determined, which is the same as the final velocity when the rocket has that big acceleration up that gives out with the fuel.

And I see my post is old news...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook