1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework problems (galvanometers)

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1
    I figured out the capacitor/charging problem that I last posted. Here's my latest cause of worry:
    1)The Resistance of the coil of a pivoted-coil galvanometer is 7.92 Ohms and a current of .0194 A causes it to deflect full scale. We want to convert this gavanometer to an ammeter reading 10 A full scale. The only shung available has a resistance of .0436 Ohms. What resistance R must be connected in series with the coil?

I used the equation (Ifs)(Rc)=(Ia-Ifs)Rsh, where Ifs = .0194, Rc=7.92 Ohms, Ia=10 A. I then solved for Rsh and subtracted .0436 (the shunt available) from it. Why do I not get the correct answer?

2) A 150 V voltmeter has a resistance of 15000 Ohms. When connected in series with a large resistance R across a 105 V line, the meter reads 57 V. Find the resistance R.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Sorry, I don't follow the question very well. From where did you get that equation?

OK, I gave it a closer look. You seem to be forgetting about what the question wants you to find. Hint #1: how many resistances should you be dealing with? Hint #2: where does the unknown resistance go? Hint #3: your equation needs just a slight modification.

This is a voltage divider. Use the voltage divider formular.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?