Homework Question, a bit stuck.

In summary, the problem asks for the maximum height that Henry will reach while bouncing on a trampoline. Using the given data of his lowest position, mass, upward acceleration and forces, as well as the acceleration due to gravity, you can apply conservation of energy and spring-force laws to create your own formula and calculate the height. This problem aims to test your ability to apply your knowledge of physics and construct equations without relying on predefined formulas.
MarkB4077
The question is: Henry is bouncing on a trampoline, using the given data below, calculate the height at which Henry will bounce to from his lowest position.

Lowest position: -0.50m
Henry's Mass: 75kg
upward acceleration: 13.3 m/s^2
upward force: 1750N
downward force: 750N
Net force: 1000N
acceleration/deceleration due to gravity: 10 m/s^2
Maximum height = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Can you show us where you got stuck?
The way to get the best out of these forums is to attempt the problem and then we can figure out where best to give you a hand.

eg. have you tried treating the trampoline as a spring?

Thanks for the reply, for me it seems every formula I try either involves knowing the time it takes or the initial and final velocity. I can't seem to find any that go solely on force and acceleration AND provides the height/distance the question requires me to give.

So really I am trying to find any formulas that I may have missed or not known about. The textbook we use is absolutely worthless, so that's no help.

Well you are making a mistake looking for equations and formulas to start with.
For problems like this you need to use your knowledge of physics to make up your own formulas.

In this case - try conservation of energy and the spring-force laws.
Imagine the person is bouncing on a big spring.
When the spring is compressed, it stores energy. When that energy is released - it turns into another kind of energy that you know a relation for that uses height. You also know a relation for how far a spring is compressed and the force the spring exerts.

If you use those relations, and the other laws you know, you can construct the correct equation that you need without looking anything up.

That is pretty much what the problem wants you to learn to do.

Thanks Simon, you made a lot more sense of that than the teacher did, I think I'll get it now.

OK - let me know how you get on.

1. How do I get started on my homework question?

To get started on your homework question, it is important to first read through the instructions and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, gather all of the necessary materials and resources, such as textbooks or lecture notes. It can also be helpful to break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts and create a plan of action.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a particular part of the question?

If you are stuck on a specific part of the question, try to approach it from a different angle or take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also reach out to your classmates, teacher, or a tutor for help and clarification. It is important to not get frustrated and to keep trying different methods until you find a solution.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to compare it to the answer or solution provided in the textbook or by your teacher. You can also try plugging in your answer to see if it works or makes sense. If you are still unsure, don't be afraid to ask for feedback from a teacher or classmate.

4. What should I do if I am running out of time to complete my homework?

If you are running out of time to complete your homework, prioritize the most important parts of the question and focus on those. You can also try to work more efficiently by setting a timer or eliminating distractions. If needed, you can also communicate with your teacher about an extension or additional time to complete the assignment.

5. How can I make sure I understand the material covered in the homework question?

To ensure that you understand the material covered in the homework question, it is important to actively engage with the material while completing the assignment. This can include taking notes, asking questions, and seeking additional resources. Additionally, it can be helpful to review the material regularly and ask for clarification if needed.