1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework question

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    if atmospheric pressure is 730mm of mercury, what is this in pascals..?

based on my study guide 1atm = pgh

= 13,590 kg/m(cube) * 9.807 N/kg * 0.76m

= 101,300Pa

do i calculate it as such :

= 13,590 kg/m(cube) * 9.807 N/kg * 0.73m...?

my answer does not tally as the guide's answer states 96000Pa

i even tried by g = 10N/kg instead of 9.807 (if less accuracy is needed)...
    but my answer still does not tally..? i'll be able to find the pressure in atmospheres and millibars once i obtain the calculating method to the first problem....pls help !

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are 133.322 pascals per mm of mercury

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3
    thx you so very much for the quick reply...by multiplying 133.322 pascals to 730mm (mercury) i obtained the answer 97,325.06 pascals which very close to the method i first used in the previous post (97,292.3049 pascals).
    why does my study guide state 96,000 pascals as the answer ? i'm so sorry but i have no tutor and i study by myself (very new to physics)...thx you!

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dont quite know

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5
    ok thx so much though...last question...the method that i used (first post)..is it also considered a correct way of finding the answer..? are you a moderator..? should i leave this post as it is hoping someone else might be able to answer it or should i close this post once you reply to it (the 'last question')..? sorry for the trouble...thx!

7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Im not a moderator, it is a good idea to leave the post open as people have different specialities and are more qualified than me to answer your question, after all I am mearly a student! Your method looks fine and as the two answer are in close agreement I would expect them to be right. Check back soon to see if anyone else has added to your post.

8. Feb 25, 2006 #7
    Forces & Pressure (Homework Question)

thank you so much ! i appreciate your assistance.

can anyone pls help me figure out why my study guide states a different answer. thx !

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?