1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Homework set #3

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    I said I'd put up questions for the set, but for now I'll just set the thread up.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    Does anybody have any info on P3-7? Am I missing a conversion? Because I keep on getting 'e' as the answer... Not 'M' which is listed in the solutions...

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Could you please tell me what steps you took in order to get "e"? Incidentally, I read your post too quick and I thought you needed help with H3-7 and I now have that one figured out. In case anyone needed a hand with that one.

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4
    #3-4) is the "roller-coaster" question that Mr. Randall mentioned previously. The mass is 5.00 kg, h1= 5.00 m, h2= 3.20 m, h3= 2.00 m, g= 9.8 m/s^2. Using what we know about Gravitational Potential Energy and Kinetic Energy (Plus conservation of energy too ), we can solve for the speed of the bead at points B and C (or 2 and 3 depending on how you want to see it). Using this method I was able to solve part a) for Vb and Vc, which I found to be approx. 5.9 m/s and 7.7 m/s respectively. I would like to hear some feedback on whether or not you got the same answer and we can discuss how our answers were achieved.

6. Oct 8, 2014 #5
    I'm going to attempt to load a PDF with homework hints ... see if those help at all.
    There is an error in my answers for #15 .. see later post.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. Oct 8, 2014 #6
    Those values look accurate to me. I think it should be 3 sigs.

8. Oct 9, 2014 #7
    Thanks for the homework help link, time start my weekend aka physics lab and hw set

9. Oct 14, 2014 #8
    OK, mistake in the answer values for #15:
    (b) x = 1.77 m
    (c) F = 35,400 N

10. Mar 17, 2015 #9
    Here's a link to a vid that practically works one of the homework problems:

11. Mar 17, 2015 #10
    Another worked example of impulse and momentum vectors:
    In this one, an astronaut tosses a wrench ... astronaut goes one way, wrench goes the other ... how fast?

12. Mar 17, 2015 #11
    Here's a live demo of a ballistic pendulum:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted