1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework/Studying Help

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    Hey I am studying for a test, These are one the questions. Anyone know how to solve this?

Two point charges repel each other with a force of 2.0 x 10^-9 N. One of the point charges carries twice the amount of charge carried by the other. When the two charges are moved 0.1 m farther apart from their initial position, the force reduces to 5.0 x 10^-9 N. What are the charges and what was the initial separation between them?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2
    ok since one charge is twice the other then u know the two chares are q1 and 2q1

to start with the force with some separation of D would be
    [tex] F_{1} = 2.0 * 10^{-9}= k \frac{(q_{1})(2q_{1})}{d^2} = k \frac{2q_{1}^2}{d^2}[/tex]

now for part 2
    [tex] F_{2} = 5.0 *10^{-9} = k \frac{2q_{1}^2}{(d+0.1)^2} [/tex]
    DONT SOLVE IT YET
    One thing u said doesnt make sense if the charges are separated the force will REDUCE
    5x10^-9 is BIGGER than 2x10^-9 so perhaps something is wrong in what you typed. In either case it will change the sign for the d+0.1 term that plus sing may turn negative if they were in fact were brought closer which would make sense

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    Yes I noticed that, I did type it correct. So would I take this as a mistake in the teachers account?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?