Homework talking about time

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question in a Canadian physics textbook that asks about the functionality of a time travel machine. Participants in the conversation discuss the concept of time, the possibility of traveling through it, and question the validity and quality of the textbook. Eventually, the textbook is deemed unreliable and the conversation ends with a suggestion to look into special relativity for a better understanding of the topic.
runicle
I had a question in my textbook saying "You have a time travel machine and you traveled to the year 1948, explain how the time machine did it?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
First isn't time constant, a one way street which you can't put in reverse, because there's cars behind you? Second, if that's true wouldn't it be that the time machine didn't reverse time, but reversed the universe not affecting time at all?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an advanced question in the textbook, so could anyone give me some facts or a website so i can research?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in the section of the book which is associated with that homework set.

'Usually' the information you need is contained in the chapter preceding the question.

What topics are you currently learning from your textbook?

Is this a creative writing course, or science? If the former, just use your imagination. If the latter, I have to wonder what kind of textbook you have. You can't build a time machine, so there's no way to explain how one works.

Thanks i got it now. Time is a fourth dimension which i find doesn't relate to space. Could it be possible that everything revolves around time? So basically there's only 3 dimensions?

What textbook is this?

Its a Canadian textbook in ottawa physics grade 11

runicle said:

Throw it away :bugeye:

:devil:

moose said:
Throw it away :bugeye:
:devil:

ditto.

and burn it. What kind of textbook claims to know how time travel would work?

This is simply shocking
Lodge a formal complaint to your headmaster that a sub-quality textbook is used in your physics course. .

I'd like to see the textbook... maybe it was like... the rough in the diamond? lol. Maybe a typo... out of context?

If its what we think it is though... better hope they don't say that gravity works because there's lots of apples on earth.

runicle said:

Would you please the title and authos of book, and page on which the question occurs.

My wife's sister teaches grade 11 physics in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area, for non-Canadians), and I wonder if she's uses the same text.

Regards,
George

Well first off it was a trick question and i don't remember, because it was a little while back i had the book.So, that's why the question wasn't worded correctly, because i still remembered some context of the question and i still don't know the answer to the trick question...

Riiiiggghhhtttt... now you tell us that it was a trick question. And before that, you had to go and scare the **** out of me by suggesting that a Canuk textbook would have something like that in it.
Until now, I didn't realize that either you or George were fellow Canuks. And by the way, George, my cousin used to be the police chief in Brandon. Should I know you because of that?:tongue:

Danger said:
And by the way, George, my cousin used to be the police chief in Brandon. Should I know you because of that?:tongue:

Really?!

I arrived in Brandon about 5 months ago. Before that I lived in Toronto, before that in West Virginia, before that on St. Croix, before that in Quebec before that in Toronto, before that in Windsor, ...

I try to stay one step ahead of the posse!

Regards,
George

It was quite a while before that, George. His name is Dave McNamee. And I spent from '65 to '78 2 miles north of Ruthven, 5 miles from Leamington, 35 miles SE of Windsor. (A Kingsville High non-graduate.)

Well, the question got at least one student wondering and investigating, which is more than can be said for most handbooks. Maybe the question was in a chapter that talked about special relativity which will then lead one to think that one should answer the question by explaining why such a machine would not work.

Well said andrevdh

1. How can I manage my time effectively to complete my homework?

One effective way to manage your time for homework is by creating a schedule or to-do list. Prioritize tasks based on their due dates or level of difficulty. Set aside distractions and allocate specific time blocks for each task. Also, make sure to take breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How long should I spend on homework each day?

The amount of time spent on homework can vary depending on the workload and individual learning pace. As a general guideline, it is recommended to spend about 10 minutes per grade level on homework. For example, a 6th grader should spend about 60 minutes on homework each day.

3. Is it better to do homework in the morning or at night?

This can vary for each individual as some people may work better in the morning while others may prefer the night. It is important to find out what works best for you and stick to a routine. However, it is generally recommended to complete homework earlier in the day to avoid rushing or staying up late.

4. How can I stay focused and motivated while doing homework?

One way to stay focused and motivated is by breaking down tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. This can help prevent feeling overwhelmed and increase a sense of accomplishment after completing each task. It can also be helpful to reward yourself after completing a certain amount of work.

5. How can I balance homework with other activities and responsibilities?

Balancing homework with other activities and responsibilities can be challenging. It is important to prioritize tasks and make a schedule that works for you. Communicating with teachers and family members about your workload and commitments can also help in finding a balance. Remember to also take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.