1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogeneity and isotropy

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    If the assumptions of homogeneity and isotropy lead to the conservation laws of linear momentum, angular momentum, and energy, would a cosmology that drops either of those assumptions lead to violations of those conservation laws which in turn could be observed? My first guess would be yes, but from what little I understand it becomes very difficult if not impossible to define and measure those quantities on a global scale. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sort of. One still has local conservation laws of linear momentum and energy in a small section of empty space, but if the overall cosmology lacks (for instance) time translation symmetry, there won't necessarily be a globally conserved energy.

Note that in spite of homogeneity and isotropy, the FRW metric does NOT have time translation symmetry, which implies there isn't any global notion of the mass/energy of the universe.

See for instance the sci.physics.faq Is energy conserved in General Relativity?, which I will quote in part. For copyright and other reasons I am only quoting a "fair use" portion of the FAQ, so I encourage the OP and other interested people to read the entire original.

You might also look at the wikipedia article for a more advanced discussion about the various sorts of mass, energy, and momentum defined in GR.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?