Proving Homogeneous Deformation: From Spheres to Ellipsoids

In summary: But if you want to find out what the components are, just evaluate the matrix at each point.In summary, to prove that in the homogeneous deformation, particles which after the deformation lie on the surface of a shere of radius b originally lay on the surface of an ellipsoid, you need to know the equation of motion of a sphere, then relate this to the equation above. I am confused about this.
sara_87

Homework Statement

Prove that in the homogeneous deformation, particles which after the deformation lie on the surface of a shere of radius b originally lay on the surface of an ellipsoid.

Homework Equations

homogeneous deformations are motions of the form:

xi=ci + AiRXR

where ci and AiR are constants or functions of time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to prove this, i think i first need to know the equation of motion of a sphere then relate this to the equation above. I am confused about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that in the homogeneous deformation, particles which after the deformation lie on the surface of a shere of radius b originally lay on the surface of an ellipsoid.

Homework Equations

homogeneous deformations are motions of the form:

xi=ci + AiRXR

where ci and AiR are constants or functions of time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to prove this, i think i first need to know the equation of motion of a sphere then relate this to the equation above. I am confused about this.
So you have <x, y, z> which satisify [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= R^2[/itex] and your deformation if of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x' \\ y' \\ z'\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}u \\ v\\ w\end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33} \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Go ahead and do the calculation for x', y', z' in terms of x, y, and z and use the equation for the sphere to show that x', y', z' satisfy the equation for an ellipse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but wouldn't the x', y', and z' be in terms of x, y, z, and u, v, w, and all the a's after the matrix multiplication?

Well, yes. I didn't mention the components of A since I assumed that was a constant.

What is homogeneous deformation?

Homogeneous deformation is a type of deformation that occurs when an object is stretched or compressed in a uniform manner. This means that all points within the object experience the same amount of strain, resulting in a consistent change in shape.

How is homogeneous deformation different from heterogeneous deformation?

Unlike homogeneous deformation, heterogeneous deformation occurs when different parts of an object experience different amounts of strain. This can lead to uneven changes in shape and can result in a non-uniform final product.

What are some examples of homogeneous deformation?

Some examples of homogeneous deformation include stretching a rubber band, compressing a spring, or pulling taffy. In all of these cases, the object experiences a uniform change in shape.

What factors can affect homogeneous deformation?

The material properties of the object, such as its elasticity and strength, can affect the degree of homogeneous deformation. The amount of force applied and the direction in which the force is applied can also impact the extent of homogeneous deformation.

How is homogeneous deformation measured?

The amount of homogeneous deformation can be measured using strain gauges, which are devices that can detect changes in the length or shape of an object. Strain gauges can provide quantitative data on the amount of strain experienced by an object during homogeneous deformation.