1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogeneous equations

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a differential equation.
    ie. y'' +y' + 1 =0 (THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM THAT I AM SOLVING)

2. Relevant equations
    No equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The equation above is not what I'm working with, but an example of a differential equation problem that I was working on. Now, I am trying to find a homogeneous solution by guessing a value for y. However, when I make a guess for y and plug it in, the equation gives me 0 = 1. Does this mean the homogenous solution does not exist or did I not make the correct guess?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For a differential equation of the form ay''+by'+cy=0 where a,b,c are constants; all solutions are of the form y=erx

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little over simplistic. E.g. what about y''=0? jimmianlin, what problem are you trying to solve and are you really supposed to solve it by guessing? Guessing y=constant probably won't get you very far.

5. Aug 29, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The homogeneous part of your solution solves the homogeneous part of your problem. Your homogeneous solution, y[x], will solve the problem of y''[x] + y'[x] = 0. Remember, the "1" is the inhomogeneous part so it isn't part of what you're trying to solve for your homogeneous solution.

6. Aug 29, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Doesn't it work for that as well:confused:? The characteristic equation would be r2=0, giving roots 0,0. So y=(Ax+B)e0x→y=Ax+B

same way you'd get from y''=0 to y'=A to y=Ax+B

7. Aug 29, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm just saying Ax+B does not have the form e^rx. That's all.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  8. Aug 30, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You got in ahead of me, Dick! But it's a very useful oversimplification! Looking for solutions of the form [itex]e^rx[/itex] leads to the characteristic equation that then leads to other solutions such as polynomials, sine and cosine, and combinations of those with exponentials. rock.freak667 oversimplified his language a little.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook