Finding Homogeneous Solutions for Differential Equations: Does Your Guess Work?

• Thread starter jimmianlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneous
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a homogeneous solution for a given differential equation by guessing a value for y and plugging it in. The equation given as an example is y'' + y' + 1 = 0, and it is determined that the homogeneous solution is of the form y = e^rx. However, it is noted that this is an oversimplification and there may be other solutions such as polynomials or sine and cosine.
jimmianlin

Homework Statement

Given a differential equation.
ie. y'' +y' + 1 =0 (THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM THAT I AM SOLVING)

Homework Equations

No equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation above is not what I'm working with, but an example of a differential equation problem that I was working on. Now, I am trying to find a homogeneous solution by guessing a value for y. However, when I make a guess for y and plug it in, the equation gives me 0 = 1. Does this mean the homogenous solution does not exist or did I not make the correct guess?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a differential equation of the form ay''+by'+cy=0 where a,b,c are constants; all solutions are of the form y=erx

rock.freak667 said:
For a differential equation of the form ay''+by'+cy=0 where a,b,c are constants; all solutions are of the form y=erx

That's a little over simplistic. E.g. what about y''=0? jimmianlin, what problem are you trying to solve and are you really supposed to solve it by guessing? Guessing y=constant probably won't get you very far.

jimmianlin said:
The equation above is not what I'm working with, but an example of a differential equation problem that I was working on. Now, I am trying to find a homogeneous solution by guessing a value for y. However, when I make a guess for y and plug it in, the equation gives me 0 = 1. Does this mean the homogenous solution does not exist or did I not make the correct guess?

The homogeneous part of your solution solves the homogeneous part of your problem. Your homogeneous solution, y[x], will solve the problem of y''[x] + y'[x] = 0. Remember, the "1" is the inhomogeneous part so it isn't part of what you're trying to solve for your homogeneous solution.

Dick said:
That's a little over simplistic. E.g. what about y''=0?

Doesn't it work for that as well:confused:? The characteristic equation would be r2=0, giving roots 0,0. So y=(Ax+B)e0x→y=Ax+B

same way you'd get from y''=0 to y'=A to y=Ax+B

rock.freak667 said:
Doesn't it work for that as well:confused:? The characteristic equation would be r2=0, giving roots 0,0. So y=(Ax+B)e0x→y=Ax+B

same way you'd get from y''=0 to y'=A to y=Ax+B

I'm just saying Ax+B does not have the form e^rx. That's all.

Last edited:
You got in ahead of me, Dick! But it's a very useful oversimplification! Looking for solutions of the form [itex]e^rx[/itex] leads to the characteristic equation that then leads to other solutions such as polynomials, sine and cosine, and combinations of those with exponentials. rock.freak667 oversimplified his language a little.

1. What is a homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation is an algebraic expression in which all of the terms have the same degree (exponent). This means that all of the variables in the equation have the same power.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous equation?

To solve a homogeneous equation, you can use a substitution method or the method of undetermined coefficients. Both of these methods involve finding a particular solution and then adding it to the general solution of the equation.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and a non-homogeneous equation?

A homogeneous equation has all terms with the same degree, while a non-homogeneous equation has at least one term with a different degree. This means that in a homogeneous equation, the constants are all equal to zero, while in a non-homogeneous equation, the constants can have non-zero values.

4. Can a homogeneous equation have non-integer solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous equation can have non-integer solutions. In fact, the solutions to a homogeneous equation can be any real number, as long as they satisfy the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of homogeneous equations?

Homogeneous equations are frequently used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving physical systems. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand relationships, and in chemistry to describe chemical reactions.