Homogeneous functions

In summary: Therefore, we can see that the relationship holds: \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2} \right)_{x_1, x_3} = \left( \frac{\partial g}{\partial m_2} \right)_{m_3}. In summary, we have shown that
Ionophore
Hi all,

This is a problem I've been working on, off and on, for a few months now. It seems like it should be possible but I just can't figure it out.

Suppose you have a first order homogeneous function [tex]f(x_1, x_2, x_3)[/tex]. In other words, f has the property that: [tex]\lambda f(x_1, x_2, x_3) = f(\lambda x_1, \lambda x_2, \lambda x_3)[/tex].

I define a second function, g, as [tex]g = \frac{1}{x_1}f[/tex]. If we define [tex]m_2 = \frac{x_2}{x_1}[/tex] and [tex]m_3 = \frac{x_3}{x_1}[/tex], then I can write [tex]g(m_2, m_3)[/tex]. g is a zero order homogeneous function of [tex]x_1, x_2[/tex], and [tex]x_3[/tex], but i don't think is homogeneous at all (in general) expressed as a function of [tex]m_2[/tex] and [tex]m_3[/tex].

I'm trying to show that:
[tex]

\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2} \right)_{x_1, x_3} = \left( \frac{\partial g}{\partial m_2} \right)_{m_3}

[/tex]

I can do if for specific cases of f, but i just can't figure out how to show it in general. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I understand that you have been working on this for a few months now and are having trouble showing the relationship between the partial derivatives of f and g. First, I would like to clarify that a zero order homogeneous function means that the function does not change when all of its variables are scaled by a constant. In other words, multiplying all the variables by a constant does not change the value of the function. However, this does not necessarily mean that the function is not homogeneous at all.

To tackle this problem, I suggest starting with the definition of a homogeneous function. As you have mentioned, a first order homogeneous function f(x_1, x_2, x_3) satisfies the property \lambda f(x_1, x_2, x_3) = f(\lambda x_1, \lambda x_2, \lambda x_3). From this definition, we can rearrange the terms and rewrite it as f(\lambda x_1, \lambda x_2, \lambda x_3) = \lambda f(x_1, x_2, x_3). This means that f is also homogeneous with respect to the variables \lambda x_2 and \lambda x_3.

Now, let's look at g = \frac{1}{x_1}f. Since f is homogeneous with respect to \lambda x_2 and \lambda x_3, g must also be homogeneous with respect to these variables. This means that we can write g(\lambda m_2, \lambda m_3) = \frac{1}{\lambda x_1}f(\lambda x_1, \lambda x_2, \lambda x_3) = \frac{1}{x_1}f(x_1, x_2, x_3) = g(m_2, m_3). Therefore, g is also a first order homogeneous function.

Now, let's look at the relationship between the partial derivatives. We can write the partial derivative of f with respect to x_2 as \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2} \right)_{x_1, x_3} = \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial m_2} \right)_{m_3}\frac{\partial m_2}{\partial x_2}. Since g =

What are homogeneous functions?

Homogeneous functions are mathematical functions where the output is proportional to the input raised to a constant power. This means that if all the inputs are multiplied by a constant, the output will also be multiplied by the same constant.

What is the degree of a homogeneous function?

The degree of a homogeneous function is the constant power to which the input is raised. It is represented by the letter "k" and is used to classify homogeneous functions into different types.

What are some real-life applications of homogeneous functions?

Homogeneous functions are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering. In economics, they are used to model production functions and utility functions. In physics, they are used to describe relationships between physical quantities such as force and distance. In engineering, they are used to model relationships between inputs and outputs in various systems.

What is the difference between a homogeneous function and a non-homogeneous function?

The main difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous functions is that the output of a homogeneous function is proportional to the input raised to a constant power, while the output of a non-homogeneous function is not proportional to the input.

How can homogeneous functions be solved?

Homogeneous functions can be solved using the method of substitution, where the input variables are replaced with new variables to create a simpler equation. They can also be solved using the method of Euler's homogeneous function theorem, which involves finding a function that satisfies certain conditions related to its partial derivatives.