Is Homogeneous Line Universe Possible in Higher Dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of special relativity in a homogenous line universe and the difficulties encountered when trying to extend it to higher dimensions. The Milne universe is suggested as a potential solution, but it requires a basic understanding of general relativity. The use of spacetime curvature to achieve homogeneity is also mentioned.
I have been trying to work out the solutions to a homogenous line universe using special relativity, and have found that, as per special relativity, one of the solutions is $$v = tanh(d)$$, where $v$ is the velocity and $d$ is the distance of recession of galaxies in this one dimensional case. Now, by homogenous, i mean that between any two points in my line universe, the velocity of recession of the two points can be given by $$v = g|d|$$ where $g$ is some function to be found [irrespective of the location of points]. One can then observe that due to velocity addition, considering three points on the stretching line: $$\frac{g|b-a| + g|c-b|}{1+g|b-a|g|c-b| = g|c - a|.$$ [The fact that this right hand side is $$g|c-a|$$ is due to the assumption of homogeneity]. Now, when i try to extend this to two dimensions or higher. i encounter difficulties and impossibilities, and this is hinting that homogeneous space, as i have defined it at least, is not possible. Does anyone know of any solution to this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might try reading about the Milne universe, for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milne_model

However, to understand fully what you read, you'll probably need to know a bit about GR. Minamally, you'll need to know how SR works with arbitrary coordinates. The needed mathematical techniques are usually taught in a GR course, and much of the language used to describe the Milne universe is borrowed from what's taught in GR courses as well.

In the Milne paramaterization, the spacelike hypersurfaces have a negative spatial curvature, though the underlying space-time itself is flat. This is most likely your difficulty in going above the 1 dimensional model, handling the curvature of the space-like surfaces.

Sorry I can't make this post more SR like, I don't see a way at the moment to avoid using a lot of GR concepts.

Thank you very much. I shall definitely look closely at the Milne universe, and have been wanting to learn general relativity for a while, so this is a great beginning point. You reply seems to make sense in that if space time was curves then of course the curvature can be adjusted to imply homogeneity. But this is profound!: because this means that for a homogenous universe you can mathematically identify the specific class of spacetime curves such that homogeneity is satisfied! Thank you once again.

1. What is a homogeneous line universe?

A homogeneous line universe is a theoretical concept in cosmology where the universe is described as a straight, infinite line with uniform properties throughout. This means that the universe looks the same in all directions and at all points along the line.

2. How does a homogeneous line universe differ from the standard cosmological model?

In the standard cosmological model, the universe is described as homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that it looks the same in all directions and at all points in space. However, a homogeneous line universe differs in that it is not modeled as having any curvature or expansion, as it is considered to be one-dimensional.

3. What evidence supports the existence of a homogeneous line universe?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the existence of a homogeneous line universe. However, some scientists use this concept as a simplification in certain theoretical models and simulations to better understand the behavior of the universe.

4. Can a homogeneous line universe exist in our observable universe?

No, it is highly unlikely that a homogeneous line universe exists in our observable universe. Our universe is much more complex and is modeled using three dimensions, with evidence of expansion and curvature.

5. How does the concept of a homogeneous line universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It describes a homogeneous and isotropic universe that expands and cools over time. The concept of a homogeneous line universe is sometimes used as a simplification in theoretical models, but it is not a part of the Big Bang theory itself.