1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homogenous Diff. Eqn

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

dy/dx = (x + 3y)/(x - y)

A) Solve the Differential Eqn
    B) Draw a Direction Field and some integral curves. Are they symmetric w/ respect to the origin?

2. Relevant equations

I believe i solved the equation correctly, but i dont know how to draw the direction fields and integral curves. I tried plotting y v. y' in order to create the resulting direction field and integral curves, but i dont know what it looks like.

*Also, how do I integrate the left side? I just used an online calculator to get the answer, but i would like to know how to solve this

3. The attempt at a solution

A) After dividing by x and substituting v = y/x:

(1 + 3v)/(1 - v) = xv' + v

v' = (1/x)( (1 + 3v)/(1 - v) - v )

* (1-3v)/(1+3v) - 1/v dv = dx/x

After integrating and solving for c:

C = (2/3)ln(3y/x + 1) - y/x -ln(y/x) - ln(x)
    Also, y = -x
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

* Use long division: [tex]\frac{1-3v}{1+3v}=-1+\frac{2}{1+3v}[/tex] then

[tex]\int \left(\frac{1-3v}{1+3v}-\frac{1}{v}\right)\, dv = \int \left(-1+\frac{2}{1+3v}-\frac{1}{v}\right)\, dv = -v+{\textstyle\frac{2}{3}} \ln |1+3v| -\ln |v|+C[/tex]​

A direction field (a.k.a slope field, see link for a better definition) is a plot of unit vectors with slope determined by the DE (e.g., on our direction field at (5,1) we plot a unit vector with a slope of [itex]y^{\prime}=\frac{5+3}{5-1}= 2[/itex]).

An integral curve is a particular solution to a differential equation corresponding to a specific value of the equation's free parameters.
  4. Apr 16, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey guys! :smile:

Isn't it (1 - v)dv/(1 + v)² ? :confused:
  5. Apr 16, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Thanks tiny-tim.
    Oops :blushing:...

[tex] \frac{1-v}{(1+v)^2}dv = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?