How Do You Solve and Visualize a Homogeneous Differential Equation?

• Thread starter aznkid310
  • Start date
In summary: Integrating both sides, we get: x\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{1+3v}{1-v}-v \frac{dx}{x}=\frac{1+3v}{1-v}-\frac{1}{v} In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation, but was unsure of how to draw the resulting direction field and integral curves.
aznkid310

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (x + 3y)/(x - y)

A) Solve the Differential Eqn
B) Draw a Direction Field and some integral curves. Are they symmetric w/ respect to the origin?

Homework Equations

I believe i solved the equation correctly, but i don't know how to draw the direction fields and integral curves. I tried plotting y v. y' in order to create the resulting direction field and integral curves, but i don't know what it looks like.

*Also, how do I integrate the left side? I just used an online calculator to get the answer, but i would like to know how to solve this

The Attempt at a Solution

A) After dividing by x and substituting v = y/x:

(1 + 3v)/(1 - v) = xv' + v

v' = (1/x)( (1 + 3v)/(1 - v) - v )

* (1-3v)/(1+3v) - 1/v dv = dx/x

After integrating and solving for c:

C = (2/3)ln(3y/x + 1) - y/x -ln(y/x) - ln(x)
Also, y = -x

Physics news on Phys.org
* Use long division: [tex]\frac{1-3v}{1+3v}=-1+\frac{2}{1+3v}[/tex] then

[tex]\int \left(\frac{1-3v}{1+3v}-\frac{1}{v}\right)\, dv = \int \left(-1+\frac{2}{1+3v}-\frac{1}{v}\right)\, dv = -v+{\textstyle\frac{2}{3}} \ln |1+3v| -\ln |v|+C[/tex]​

A direction field (a.k.a http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SlopeField.html" , see link for a better definition) is a plot of unit vectors with slope determined by the DE (e.g., on our direction field at (5,1) we plot a unit vector with a slope of [itex]y^{\prime}=\frac{5+3}{5-1}= 2[/itex]).

An http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IntegralCurve.html" is a particular solution to a differential equation corresponding to a specific value of the equation's free parameters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! :smile:

Isn't it (1 - v)dv/(1 + v)² ? :confused:

Thanks tiny-tim.
Oops :blushing:...

[tex]x\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{1+3v}{1-v}-v[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1-v}{(1+v)^2}dv = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]

What is a homogenous differential equation?

A homogenous differential equation is a type of differential equation where all the terms can be expressed as functions of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the independent variable does not appear explicitly in the equation.

What is the general form of a homogenous differential equation?

The general form of a homogenous differential equation is F(x,y,y',y'',...yn)=0, where F is a function of the dependent variable y and its derivatives up to the nth order.

How do you solve a homogenous differential equation?

To solve a homogenous differential equation, you can use the substitution method, where you substitute y=vx into the equation and solve for v. Then, you can integrate to find the general solution.

What is the difference between a homogenous and a non-homogenous differential equation?

The main difference between a homogenous and a non-homogenous differential equation is that in a homogenous equation, all the terms can be expressed in terms of the dependent variable and its derivatives, while in a non-homogenous equation, there is at least one term that cannot be expressed in this way.

What are some real-world applications of homogenous differential equations?

Homogenous differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be used to model physical phenomena, chemical reactions, population growth, and economic trends, among others.