Is There a Homogenous Function of Degree n < 0?

• Thread starter psholtz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of homogenous functions of degree n < 0 and provides examples of such functions. It also mentions the Euler theorem on homogeneous functions and its relevance in the n-body problem. The fact that U is homogenous in degree -1 is important in proving that there are no equilibrium solutions for the n-body problem.
psholtz
Is there such a thing as a homogenous function of degree n < 0?

Considering functions of two variables, the expression:

[tex]f(x,y) = \frac{y}{x}[/tex]

is homogeneous in degree 0, since:

[tex]f(tx,ty) = \frac{ty}{tx} = \frac{y}{x} = f(x,y) = t^0 \cdot f(x,y)[/tex]

and the expression:

[tex]f(x,y) = x[/tex]

is homogenous in degree 1 since:

[tex]f(tx,ty) = tx = t^1 \cdot f(x,y)[/tex]

and the expression:

[tex]f(x,y) = x^3y^2[/tex]

is homogeneous in degree 5, since:

[tex]f(tx,ty) = t^5 \cdot f(x,y)[/tex]

I suppose that in the same way I could construct a function something like:

[tex]f(x,y) = \frac{y}{x^2}[/tex]

So that:

[tex]f(tx,ty) = t^{-1} \cdot f(x,y)[/tex]

or in other words, "homogenous" in degree n = -1.

Does this ever really come up much?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is "yes"..

For instance, the Euler theorem on homogeneous functions states, in relevant part, that if you have a function in two variables, x and y, which is homogeneous in degree n, then:

[tex]n f(x,y) = x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

So taking the example I gave above, where you have:

[tex]f(x,y) = \frac{x}{y^2}[/tex]

which, ostensibly, is homogeneous in degree -1. Plugging this equation in the Euler theorem above, you would have:

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{1}{y^2}[/tex]

[tex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{y^2}[/tex]

and that:

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = -2\frac{x}{y^3}[/tex]

[tex]y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y } = -2\frac{x}{y^2}[/tex]

so that:

[tex]x\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + y\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = -\frac{x}{y^2} = -f(x,y)[/tex]

which is what we would expect of a function which is homogenous in degree -1..

Yes.

Consider the following:

[tex]
U = \sum_{1 \leq i < j \leq n}^{n} \frac{m_i m_j}{||q_i - q_j||}
[/tex]

It usually appears in the n-body problem in the form of...

[tex]
m_i \ddot{x_i} = \frac{dU}{dq_i}
[/tex]

The fact that U is homogeneous of degree -1 is key to prove that there are no equilibrium solutions for the n-body problem.

1. What is a homogenous function of degree n < 0?

A homogenous function of degree n < 0 is a mathematical function where the degree of all its variables is less than 0. This means that the function is not defined for all values of its variables and may have restrictions on its domain.

2. How is a homogenous function of degree n < 0 different from a regular function?

A homogenous function of degree n < 0 differs from a regular function in that it may not be defined for all values of its variables. It may have restrictions on its domain and its output may not be consistent for all inputs.

3. What is the importance of studying homogenous functions of degree n < 0?

Studying homogenous functions of degree n < 0 is important in understanding the behavior of certain mathematical models and systems. These functions often arise in various fields of science and engineering, and their study can provide insights into the underlying mechanisms and relationships within these systems.

4. Can a homogenous function of degree n < 0 have real-world applications?

Yes, homogenous functions of degree n < 0 can have real-world applications in fields such as economics, physics, and biology. For example, they can be used to model production functions in economics or describe the relationship between variables in physical systems.

5. How can one determine if a function is homogenous of degree n < 0?

A function can be determined to be homogenous of degree n < 0 by checking if it satisfies the property of homogeneity, which states that if all its variables are multiplied by a constant, the function's value will also be multiplied by that same constant. Additionally, the degree of each variable in the function should be less than 0.