The answer to this question is: Homogenous System: Ax=b Must Have Many Solutions

• Thread starter shiri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, if a homogenous system Ax = 0 has infinitely many solutions, then for a non-zero vector b, the associated system Ax = b must have either one solution or no solution. This is because the number of solutions for a non-homogenous system is either equal to the number of solutions of the homogenous system or it has no solutions at all.
shiri
If a homogenous system Ax = 0 has infinitely many solutions, then for a non-zero vector b, the associated system Ax = b ____ have _______In my assignment, the answer I wrote on this question is must have many solutions. However, what I got is wrong.

Can anybody tell me why it is wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if Ay = b, then what can you say about any vector of the form x + y where Ax = 0?

aPhilosopher said:
if Ay = b, then what can you say about any vector of the form x + y where Ax = 0?

Well I am assuming there has to be many solutions since Ax=0 gives infinite solutions.

Plus, no solution or/and one solution sounds less appropriate than many solutions at the moment I answer the question.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Also, I might be being pedantic but I would say many is a broader term than infinite. I think that I've seen books using 'many' though so if your book or teacher does, just ignore me.

aPhilosopher said:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Also, I might be being pedantic but I would say many is a broader term than infinite. I think that I've seen books using 'many' though so if your book or teacher does, just ignore me.

Well I don't understand why many solutions is wrong since this tell me how many variables and how many unknowns.

So, I ran out of options. Please help me.

Must is surely wrong as the example shows. The homogeneous equation has infinite solutions. Can you find a solution to the non-homogeneous equation?

Like I said, I was probably just being pedantic with the whole many/infinite thing.

aPhilosopher said:

Teacher gave me these choices:

A. may have exactly one solution
B. must have many solutions
C. must have either one solution or no solution
D. may have no solution
E. need not satisfy any of the above

Well, you shouldn't have chosen B. Work my example to find out why.

aPhilosopher said:
Well, you shouldn't have chosen B. Work my example to find out why.

I would say many solutions and no solutions. B and D

B is wrong in general. Do you see why? If you want, we can talk about when it's right.

aPhilosopher said:
B is wrong in general. Do you see why? If you want, we can talk about when it's right.

So B is wrong in any possible answers?

It's wrong without conditions that weren't assumed in the question. Have you studied dimension yet?

The key thing here is the use of the word "must". I've given you an example already that doesn't so think about it until you realize that it doesn't "must" have infinite solutions.

aPhilosopher said:
It's wrong without conditions that weren't assumed in the question. Have you studied dimension yet?

The key thing here is the use of the word "must". I've given you an example already that doesn't so think about it until you realize that it doesn't "must" have infinite solutions.

So the correct answer is D only? May have no solutions?

aPhilosopher said:

the answer is C? is it?

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

aPhilosopher said:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I see x has a solution and y has no solution.

Am I right?

The second one has no solution, you are correct. How many solutions does the first one have again?

aPhilosopher said:
The second one has no solution, you are correct. How many solutions does the first one have again?

the first one has one solution?

No. (1 0) is a solution. (1 1) is a solution. (1 45/77) is also a solution.

How many solutions does [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] have? You can take anyone of them, add it to (1 0) and get a solution to

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Right?

aPhilosopher said:
No. (1 0) is a solution. (1 1) is a solution. (1 45/77) is also a solution.

How many solutions does [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] have? You can take anyone of them, add it to (1 0) and get a solution to

Right?

so are you saying that there must have either one solution or no solution?

I have to go to work now. Maybe somebody else can help you.

Take an homogeneous system, Ax = 0. For example in the following equation,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The matrix [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] would be called A.

The vector [tex]\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix}[/tex] would be called x.

We want to find all x1, x2 such that Ax = 0. Towards that end, expand it out into

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = x_{1}\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + x_{2}\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

For any real number x2 that we choose, [tex]x_{2}\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This means that [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = x_{1}\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] so that the value of x2 doesn't affect the value of Ax at all.

So to solve the above equation, we need to solve 1x1 = 0. But whenever we have two numbers a and b such that ab = 0, we know that either a or b must equal 0. Because we know that 1 is not equal to 0, we can conclude that x1 must be.

This means that [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = x_{1}\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] when [tex]\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix}[/tex] where x2 is any real number that we choose.

We have shown that any solution of Ax = 0 must be of the form [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

In other words, there is one solution for every real number x2.

Non-Homogeneous System

Let's now consider a non-homogeneous system Ax = r where r is a non-zero vector. Let's take our example as,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ r_{1} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Again, we expand this out into,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = x_{1}\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + x_{2}\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Again, [tex]x_{2}\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

So [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = x_{1}\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Now, 0x1 = 0. This has the consequence that we can only solve the equation if r2 = 0 because that is all we are ever going to get from A. We must also have 1x1 = r1. So we can only solve the equation if

[tex]r = \begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, as you know, A(v1 + v2) = Av1 + Av2 so if Av1 = r and Av2 = 0 then A(v1 + v2) = Av1 + Av2 = r + 0 = r

This means that the solution set is all vectors of the form

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

where r1 is determined by r and x2 is free.

In other words,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ r_{2} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

has solutions only if r2 = 0. In that case, we have

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ x_{2} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} r_{1} \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] for all real numbers, x2.

Four more good matrices to solve and really look at would be [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix} , \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

You probably want to use row reduction or some other method for more complicated systems but you should look at those three like we've looked at the one above.

1. What is a homogenous system?

A homogenous system is a set of linear equations where all the constant terms are equal to zero. It can be written in the form of Ax=0, where A is the coefficient matrix and x is the vector of variables. This means that the system has no unique solution, and there are infinitely many solutions that satisfy the equations.

2. Why must a homogenous system have many solutions?

A homogenous system must have many solutions because all the equations in the system have no constant terms. This means that there are no restrictions on the values of the variables, and any values that satisfy the equations can be a solution. Therefore, there are infinitely many combinations of values that can satisfy the system, resulting in many solutions.

3. How do you know if a homogenous system has many solutions?

You can determine if a homogenous system has many solutions by looking at the coefficient matrix. If the matrix is consistent (all rows are linearly dependent), then the system has infinitely many solutions. You can also solve the system using Gaussian elimination or other methods to determine the number of solutions.

4. Can a homogenous system have a unique solution?

No, a homogenous system cannot have a unique solution. Since all the constant terms are equal to zero, there are no restrictions on the values of the variables. This means that any combination of values that satisfies the equations can be a solution. If there was only one solution, it would mean that there are restrictions on the values of the variables, which would make the system non-homogenous.

5. How are homogenous systems used in science?

Homogenous systems are commonly used in science to model real-world situations, such as chemical reactions, genetics, and physics problems. They are also used in solving linear equations and systems, which have numerous applications in various fields of science, including engineering, economics, and statistics.