Homology group computations with kunneth formula and universal coefficient theorem

In summary, using the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem, the homology groups for H_*(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) are: H_0(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2, H_1(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2, H_2(\math
antiemptyv

Homework Statement

I am to compute the homology groups [tex]H_*(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2)[/tex], with coefficients in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex].

Homework Equations

Kunneth formula and universal Coefficient theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

First I need the homology groups, obtained via the Kunneth formula:
[tex]H_0(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong \mathbb{Z}[/tex],
[tex]H_1(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex],
[tex]H_2(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}[/tex],
[tex]H_3(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex],
[tex]H_4(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}[/tex], and
[tex]H_i(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong 0[/tex] for [tex]i > 4[/tex].

Now the Universal Coefficient Theorem yields the following:
[tex]H_0(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex],
[tex]H_1(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex],
[tex]H_2(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}[/tex],
[tex]H_3(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex],
[tex]H_4(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2; \mathbb{Z}_2) \cong \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z}[/tex], and
[tex]H_i(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2); \mathbb{Z}_2 \cong 0[/tex] for [tex]i > 4[/tex].

I'm not sure if these are correct, and H_4 seems weird, having three summands.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would appreciate any feedback on my solution. Thank you!

Dear student,

Your solution is almost correct, but there is a slight mistake in your computation of H_2(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2). The correct result is H_2(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2) \cong \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2, since the Kunneth formula for the second homology group involves the tensor product of H_1(\mathbb{C}P^2) and H_1(\mathbb{R}P^2), both of which are isomorphic to \mathbb{Z}_2. This also affects the computation of H_4(\mathbb{C}P^2 \times \mathbb{R}P^2), which should be \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_2.

Other than that, your solution is correct and your use of the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem is appropriate. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Kunneth formula and how is it used in homology group computations?

The Kunneth formula is a mathematical theorem that allows for the computation of the homology groups of a product space in terms of the homology groups of its factors. In other words, it provides a way to break down a complicated space into simpler pieces in order to calculate its homology groups.

2. What is the Universal Coefficient Theorem and why is it useful in homology group computations?

The Universal Coefficient Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the homology groups of a space to the cohomology groups of its dual space. This is useful because it allows for the use of different algebraic structures, such as rings and modules, in the computation of homology groups.

3. What are some common applications of homology group computations using the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem?

Homology group computations using the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem have many applications in mathematics, including algebraic topology, differential geometry, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in various areas of physics and engineering, such as in the study of topological insulators and in the design of communication networks.

4. How do the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem relate to other mathematical concepts?

The Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem are closely related to other concepts in mathematics, such as the Künneth spectral sequence, which is a tool for computing the homology groups of a product space. They are also connected to other important theorems, such as the Hodge decomposition theorem and the Poincaré duality theorem.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem for homology group computations?

While the Kunneth formula and Universal Coefficient Theorem are powerful tools for homology group computations, there are some limitations and challenges in their use. For example, the Kunneth formula is only applicable to certain types of spaces, and the Universal Coefficient Theorem may not always provide an explicit formula for computing homology groups. Additionally, the computations can become more complicated for more complex spaces or when working with different algebraic structures.