Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homology of Hawaiian Earrings

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    I would like to verify that H1(Hawaiian Earrings) is uncountable. Let's call the Hawaiian Earrings X and build it as a quotient space of [0,1] by the set {0,1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, ...}. The map [tex]f:[0,1] \rightarrow X [/tex] with f(x)=[1-x] is a continuous map from [tex]\Delta^1[/tex] into X. Explicitly, it hits every ring exactly once in the order of the radii of the rings. Similarly, every ordering [tex](n_i)[/tex] of the positive integers corresponds to a continuous map if the ith ring that the map traverses is the one of length [tex]1/n_i - 1/(n_1+1)[/tex], with 1 being mapped to 0.

It is easy to verify that this set of maps is uncountable. Now of course I have to verify that (ideally) none of the maps are homologous, and this is where I am stuck. It is straight forward to show that these maps are not pairwise homotopic, but I have no idea how to show that they are in different homology classes. Any hints or ideas?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2009 #2
    Edit: I realized that there is some fundamental flaw in the setup above (many if not most of the maps would be homologous), but I have a different approach in post #4.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. Mar 20, 2009 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the first homology group the abelianisation of the fundamental group? If so, you've demonstrated that the fundamental group is the free product of Z with itself uncountably many times, hence H_1 is the direct product of Z with itself uncountably many times.

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4
    Thanks, but I am afraid it's not quite as easy as that because the fundamental group is a lot more complicated than a free group on countably many generators. According to literature, H_1 is [tex]\mathbb{Z}^{|\mathbb{N}|} \times \mathbb{Q}^{\mathbb{|R|}} \times (\text{some term I forgot})[/tex]

I am just trying to find an uncountable subset of H_1.

Different approach: Use the same setup as in post #1, but replace the orderings of the natural numbers by the power set of the natural numbers. That's definitely uncountable, and unless I am missing some fundamental point, every map should be in a different homology class because it includes or excludes circles from a previous map.

6. Mar 20, 2009 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, that (horrible) group has still got an uncountable abelianization: Q^R is uncountable and abelian already.

7. Mar 20, 2009 #6
    The group above *is* the abelianization of the fundamental group. The actual fundamental group looks a lot worse.

I already know that the group is uncountable. I was just trying to convince myself that it is *very* uncountable by finding an actual uncountable subset, explicitly. One would think that it shouldn't be too hard to find an uncountable subset of Q^R, but I started with several really dumb approaches. I think I do have a fair number of examples now that should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook