1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homology of RP(2)

1. Dec 25, 2007 #1
    I'm currently learning some homology theory but I have some difficulties computing homology groups of a few simple spaces. If someone could do the explicit calculation for RP(2), it would be really nice.

Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the universal covering space is the 2 sphere, so pi 1 is Z/2Z, hence also the first homology group. that does it since the space is connected non orientable manifold so the zeroth homology is Z and the second homology i guess is zero.

i am just recalling this from 40 years ago since they don't let me teach topology for some reason, so i could be wrong.

4. Dec 25, 2007 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another approach is to represent RP^2 as a circle with a disc attached by a map of degree 2. then there is a little formula for the homology groups, in the chapter on cell complexes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?