1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homomorphism abelian help

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that Group G is abelian iff the function f:G to G given by f(a)=a^-1 is a homomorphism

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Group G must be communitative for it to be abelian I have no idea where to start to begin to prove this I know that homomorphic means that complete the operation first on a in the group gets mapped to an element that the operation is completed 2nd. Help... I really need a jumping point.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You can start by writing out some relevant definitions and basic facts along with the facts you're given. Often this is also where you finish. In this case, remember that the condition for f to be a homomorphism is f(ab)=f(a)f(b). Now use the definition of f.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  4. Jul 14, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I see things like that I worry. Commutative and abelian are synonyms.

5. Jul 14, 2007 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually there's not much to prove. It is, as StatusX already said, a matter of writing out the definition of homeomorphism and plugging in commutativity of the group and the definition of f at the right points.

So just start writing something down, then tell us where you get stuck.

6. Jul 16, 2007 #5
    I got it thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?