1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homomorphism confusion

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here's the problem I've been trying to get my mind around:
    Prove that there exists an isomorphism of [tex]F^n[/tex] into [tex]Hom(Hom(F^n,F),F)[/tex].

I'm missing something. Here's what I get to:

[tex]F^n[/tex] is an n-tuple and [tex] F[/tex] is a field. So I can see that there is a set of homomorphisms from [tex]F^n[/tex] into [tex]F[/tex].
    It would be a finite n-tuple mapped into an infinite field, so there would just be a finite number of elements mapped infinitely.

I used n=3 and the real numbers as an example for the sake of trying to understand this:
    Define a homomorphism [tex]T:F^n \rightarrow F[/tex] as follows:
    [tex]x_1=1,x_2=2,x_3=3,x_3=4,x_3=4.1,x_3=........[/tex]
    so [tex]x_3[/tex] is everything else besides 1 and 2.

Then I get confused trying to define [tex]Hom(Hom(F^n,F),F)[/tex] Am I just mapping everything back into the origional [tex]F[/tex]? And isn't that just what I started with, which is [tex]F[/tex]?(or the reals in my attempted example)

So the whole point is to show that there is an isomorphim from [tex]F^n[/tex] into the [tex]Hom((HomF^n,F),F)[/tex] But it looks to me like F^n is a finite n-tuple and I can't get my mind around how there can be an isomprphism between an infinite field and a finite n-tuple.

What am I missing? Where have I gone wrong?

any clarification will be greatly appreciated.
    CC
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't really follow what you've tried so far.

Remember, Hom(F^n,F) is the set of linear functions from F^n into F. That is, functions f where x is in F^n and f(x) is in F, and which satisfy f(ax+by)=af(x)+bf(y), where x,y are vectors in F^n and a,b are scalars (in F). Such linear functions from a vector space into the underlying field are usually called linear functionals.

Note that the linearity of the function implies that its value at an arbitrary vector x is completely determined by its values on a basis of F^n. So, for example, if F=R and n=3, there is a bijection between 3-tuples (a,b,c), where a,b,c are real, and linear functionals, given by sending (a,b,c) to the functional f defined by f(1,0,0)=a, f(0,1,0)=b, f(0,0,1)=c, so that f(x,y,z)=ax+by+cz. You can show that the set of such linear functionals forms another vector space over F, and in this case the bijection just mentioned is in fact a vector space isomorphism.

Does this help at all?

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3
    Hey,
    That makes a whole bunch of sense...but this question is in the section before we study what a basis is. I just went through that section so I see what you are talking about. I don't think I can apply the basis to this problem BUT I'm going to rewrite my definition of the homomorphism[tex]F^n \rightarrow F[/tex] and try again.
    THANKYOU!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?