What Do Homomorphisms on Rings Really Mean?

• Thread starter chocok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the conversation discusses mappings between mathematical structures, specifically between direct sums and products of integers. The first mapping is from the direct sum Z circle(+) Z to the integer field Z, while the second is from Z to the direct product Z x Z. The conversation also clarifies that these mappings are not necessarily ring homomorphisms.
chocok
can someone please explain what these mappings really means? like what is being mapped and mapped to..?? i get confused by the direct sum & product that gets mapped..

Z [tex]\oplus[/tex] Z ->Z
Z -> ZxZ

Physics news on Phys.org
the first is a mapping from the direct sum Z circle(+) Z to Z, the second is a mapping from Z to the direct product Z x Z, I'm not sure where the confusion is, does this help?

thanks! can u tell me if I'm understanding correctly?

so for Z [tex]\oplus[/tex] Z -> Z (say Z is the integer field),
can i have some maps like this (4 maps): map((a,b)) = [tex]\pm a \pm b [/tex]
i mean as long as the value on the right side stays in Z?

and for Z [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]ZxZ, we are mapping from an elt to an ordered pair like
map(a)= (ca,ca) where c in Z?

Z is not a field

so you mean can you have the following maps
f:Z circle(+) Z ->Z given by f(a, b) = a + b
f:Z circle(+) Z ->Z given by f(a, b) = a - b
f:Z circle(+) Z ->Z given by f(a, b) = -a + b
f:Z circle(+) Z ->Z given by f(a, b) = -a - b
?
they are all well defined as is the bottom one in your post

That doesn't mean they are ring homomorphisms though(looking at the 3rd one)
f(a, b)f(c, d) = (a - b)(c - d) = ac - bc -ac + bd
f((a, b)(c, d)) = f(ac, bd) = ac - bd

Last edited:

1. What is a homomorphism on rings?

A homomorphism on rings is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of rings. In other words, it maps elements of one ring to elements of another ring in a way that respects the addition and multiplication operations. This means that the resulting ring after applying the homomorphism will have the same properties as the original ring.

2. How is a homomorphism different from an isomorphism?

A homomorphism only preserves the algebraic structure of rings, while an isomorphism also preserves the bijective property. This means that an isomorphism is a one-to-one and onto function, while a homomorphism may not be. In other words, an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism.

3. What is the kernel of a homomorphism on rings?

The kernel of a homomorphism on rings is the set of elements in the original ring that are mapped to the identity element in the resulting ring. It is denoted as ker(f) and is a subgroup of the original ring.

4. Can a homomorphism on rings be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a homomorphism on rings can be both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). In this case, it is called an isomorphism and is a bijective homomorphism.

5. How are homomorphisms used in abstract algebra?

Homomorphisms are used in abstract algebra to study the properties and relationships between algebraic structures, such as rings. They help to simplify and generalize concepts, and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems in various branches of mathematics.