Solving Homomorphism Q on Cyclic Group of Order 7

• Thread starter ElDavidas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the number of homomorphisms from a cyclic group of order 7 (G) to the symmetric group of order 7 (S_7). The definition of a cyclic group and a homomorphism are explained, and the focus is placed on finding the order of \Psi(g) and \Psi(e) to determine the possibilities for \Psi(g). It is noted that the order of a permutation in S_7 can be calculated by finding the LCM of the lengths of the disjoint cycles. Finally, it is suggested that due to the nature of group elements, there are limited possibilities for \Psi(e) and therefore for the order of \Psi(g).
ElDavidas
Can anybody help me out?

"Let G be a cyclic group of order 7. Determine the number of homomorphisms from G to [itex]S_7[/itex]"

I know the definition of a cyclic group. It's a group generated by a single element. The order 7 means that [itex] g^7 = e [/itex] for g within G.

I understand that a homomorphism is defined by [itex] \Psi (ab) = \Psi(a)\Psi(b)[/itex] for a, b that exist in G. [itex] \Psi : G \rightarrow S_7 [/itex]

My main problem is, I can't put this all together and answer the question! :confused:

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let g be a generator of G, [tex]\Psi[/tex] a homomorphism. Since g generates the group if we know what happens to g, we know what happens to the rest of the group. So we can concentrate our efforts on g.

What can you say about the order of [tex]\Psi(g)[/tex]? What then are the possibilities for [tex]\Psi(g)[/tex]?

shmoe said:
What can you say about the order of [tex]\Psi(g)[/tex]?

:uhh: That the order of [tex]\Psi(g)[/tex] is determined by g? Purely a guess...

I know that you can calculate the order of a permutation in [itex] S_7[/itex] by finding the LCM of the lengths of the disjoint cycles.

Not sure if that's relevant though.

You know [tex]g^7=e[/tex] so you know [tex]\Psi(g)^7=\Psi(g^7)=\Psi(e)[/tex]

What is [tex]\Psi(e)[/tex] and what are the possibilities for the order of [tex]\Psi(g)[/tex]?

shmoe said:
What is [tex]\Psi(e)[/tex] and what are the possibilities for the order of [tex]\Psi(g)[/tex]?

[tex]\Psi(e)[/tex] = [tex]\Psi(gg^{-1})[/tex] = [tex]\Psi(g)\Psi(g^{-1})[/tex]

I don't know how to take it further or how to come to any conclusions about this. I've been rereading my lecture notes lots of times about this area.

[tex]\Psi(e)^2=\Psi(e^2)=\Psi(e)[/tex]

You should know what [tex]\Psi(e)[/tex] must be now- not many elements in a group can equal their own square!

1. What is homomorphism?

Homomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two algebraic structures, where one structure can be mapped onto the other in a way that preserves the operations of the structures.

2. What is the cyclic group of order 7?

The cyclic group of order 7, denoted as C7, is a mathematical structure that consists of 7 elements and follows a specific set of operations. It is a fundamental group in abstract algebra and has applications in various fields of mathematics and computer science.

3. How is homomorphism related to the cyclic group of order 7?

The cyclic group of order 7 can be used as the domain or the codomain in a homomorphism. In other words, a homomorphism can be defined on the cyclic group of order 7, and it can also map elements of the cyclic group of order 7 onto another algebraic structure.

4. What is the goal of solving homomorphism Q on the cyclic group of order 7?

The goal of solving homomorphism Q on the cyclic group of order 7 is to find a homomorphism that maps elements of the cyclic group onto another algebraic structure while preserving the operations of the group. This can help in understanding the structure of the cyclic group and its relationship with other structures.

5. How can I solve homomorphism Q on the cyclic group of order 7?

The process of solving homomorphism Q on the cyclic group of order 7 involves defining a function that maps elements of the group onto another structure, and then proving that this function preserves the group operations. This can be done through algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning.