Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homopolar designs and equations?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    Homopolar designs and equations???

I have been experimenting with Homopolar generation for some time now and have some experimental observations I would like to share with this community. I am looking for people who have had some exposure to this method of producing electricity and anyone else who may have some constructive ideas about whats going on and ideas about how significant these observations of mine may be.

The part that intrigues me about this method of producing electricity is that you can fix the induction magnet to the induction plate and produce the same current as you would if the the two where seperated. (I will attach illustrations of the homopolar design I am refereing to) The above statement is not assumption but experimentally observed. Its interesting to note that by physically attaching the two components the typical backward torque on a system designed this way is elliminated. The current induced in this system, produces eddy currents in the conductor and consequently random magnetic fields that would interact with the induction magnet and in turn work to slow the motion of the conductor. I am sure that these eddy currents are still present when the two are fixed totheger but the method used to fix the two components together converts this into internal resistance on the mechanical structure instead of the magnetic structure. (I am sure as well that this mechanical resistance is being converted to heat in some small way)

I have further experimented with this principle and found that the conductor can be sectioned radially (pie sections) and each section will produce its own seperate current. This fact is interesting in that, if treated like individual power supplies they can be manipulated the same way and be connected in parallel or series to produce more practical currents. The experiment I conducted showed a significant disproportion between voltage (substantially higher) vs. Amperage (substantially lower). The experimental piece consisted of 3" diameter 1/8" thick neodymium magnet insulated and fixed to eight radially sectioned pieces of copper cut from a copper sheet. The radial dimention for the copper was also 3" and each section was insulated from one another and seperation was confirmed through continuity tests between all components...

Having done some research on this subject (till my eyes hurt) the typical result from such a method as this produces very HIGH currents which result in most experimenters just writing of the whole phenominon (spell check) as being impractical for any use at all. My experiments point to a different result and the potential for practical energy production with unheard of efficiency....

Your thoughts and questions are welcome.

One more thing too... I have not found any reliable math out there that can be used to predict the results of this type of electrical production... If you have some insight on this subjet I am all eyes....

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted