Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homosexual couples adopting?

1. Jul 29, 2003 #1
    I am very surprised to hear this but i find it very hard to beleive that a child has no more chance of being influenced by homosexual parents, doesnt everyone get influenced by their parents? I would post a longer post but dont know how to word it without it sounding anti homosexual.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2003 #2
    I don't think that there is a real issue here. Did you see your parents having sex?
  4. Jul 29, 2003 #3
    No but i have sen my parents holding hands, kissing and generally being affectionate to each other. But if you had spent the first and most important years of your live being brought up by homosexuals would that have a large influence on the way that you grow up. Imagine the bullying that the child would go through by other kids if they where to find out about having homosexual parents.
  5. Jul 29, 2003 #4
    All the more reason for believing homosexuality, and heterosexuality, is genetic.

I don't like girls because I was copying my dad. Hell, I didn't like girls at all until I hit puberty, and I can tell you straight out that my attraction was biological and not sociological.

So, do you like the opposite sex because you watched your parents in those "formative years?"
  6. Jul 29, 2003 #5
    Oh no!! And since kids bully ethnic minorities, I guess we should get rid of them too, right?
  7. Jul 29, 2003 #6
    And where do children get the idea that homosexuality is different, and a source of teasing? from the parents. So if the parents didn't have a negative attitude about it, then the children wouldn't either.
  8. Jul 29, 2003 #7
    I don't know, has there ever been a kid raised by straight parents who turned out to be gay?
  9. Jul 30, 2003 #8
    What i am trying tos ay is that people should think of the possible effects that it could have on the children, i understand why homosexuals would want to adopt, but it could be very difficult for the children growing up.
  10. Aug 1, 2003 #9
    Homosexuals have children of their own and adopt them all the time. Even without accounting for any bigotry these children encounter, there are no scientifically descernable differences. Having homosexual parents does not change their sexual orientation or whatever, however, I do suspect it strongly influences their political orientation.

Perhaps that and patriarchal statis quo are really what all the fuss is about.
  11. Aug 1, 2003 #10
    I'm agreeing with you, in that I think it is more of an issue over culture and politics, rather than any actual harm inherent in homosexuality. The children of gay couples are almost guaranteed not to grow up as fundamentalist religious nutjobs, and if they 'get away with it', next thing you know nobody wants to be a religious nutjob.
  12. Aug 1, 2003 #11
    Wont somebody think of the children, i am no physcologist(obviously) but maybe a hetrosexual relationship is a more stable background for a child to grow up into? I am not against homosexuals at all, just trying to express my point of view without sounding homophobic.
  13. Aug 1, 2003 #12
    Well, there would be evidence, wouldn't there? All the fear-mongering in the world won't change the fact that the majority of legitimate experts don't see a problem with it. Isn't it much better to be in a household with two well-adjusted people with plenty of self-knowledge and maturity, and a real desire to be parents? What does their gender have to do with it?
  14. Aug 1, 2003 #13
    i honestly cant answer your question because i dont know why i think that it isnt right, i just think that we where created/evolved (whatever you believe) with 2 seperate genders for a reason, but i was hoping that others (smarter than I) would agree with me on this subject, i have talked to friends about this and they agree with me, they are smarter than myself and have different beleives than i do, one person is a christian and beleives in christianity completely (not just a sunday christian) and they feel the same way as i do, with anyluck i will be able to get her to explain or send me her reasoning in an e-mail, and will post her reasoning at a later date.
  15. Aug 1, 2003 #14
    I already told you, Andy, there is no evidence whatsoever that children of homosexual couples suffer. Quite the contrary, homosexuals have been raising children since time immemorial and as far as anyone has been able to determine they grow up no different from those of heterosexual couples.

If you really are concerned about the children of homosexual parents, then consider that they have been accomplishing this despite social bigotry and institutionalized repression. Gays, for example, are not entitled to the same partner benefits afforded to heterosexuals. Who knows what they can do if treated as the equals of any other parents.

Again, as far as I am concerned this isn't just a religious issue. It is a social issue revolving around free will bigotry. Atheists as well as radical right wing religious are adamentally against the idea. Notably, the vast majority of society is not against lesbianism, but gay men are much less accepted. The men most adamently against gay men are also those most tempted to have sex with other men.
  16. Aug 1, 2003 #15
    I wonder what the agenda of the American Academy of Pediatrics is, besides the welfare of children?The policy of the AAP towards homosexual parents includes this statement: "The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes that a considerable body of professional literature provides evidence that children with parents who are homosexual can have the same advantages and the same expectations for health, adjustment, and development as can children whose parents are heterosexual" That isn't a partisan group, or a gay rights group
  17. Aug 2, 2003 #16
    What do you mean by immemorial? In thu UK there was alot of coverage in the news about Homosexual couples wanting to adopt children and that was only a few years ago.

As for there being no problems with the child growing up, i can say this with about 99% certainty that if someone at my school had homosexual parents then there would not hear the end of it and would receive a constant barage of abuse about it. I didnt go to a bad school but bullying is common in probably every school in the world. That was my main concern about the developement of the child if you receive years of bullying that must have adverse affects on the child.
  18. Aug 2, 2003 #17
    So we deal with the bullies, not the children being bullied. If necessary, you begin killing bigots and bullies, preferably by drowning in caterpillars
  19. Aug 2, 2003 #18
    Can I have a show of hand from those who WEREN'T bullied in some fashion in school? I was witness to many many children being bullied in school. school is all about "clicks" and this who are different are ridiculed. You speak as if this is something new and profound. How does this differ from any other typical day in a school? read my last post on bullying- that's not an argument.
  20. Aug 2, 2003 #19
    Lets assume for the moment that gays have existed since time immorial, a lesbian couple active in the church I attend publically announced they were now pregnant by an annonymous doner. I've also known lesbians to have unprotected sex with absolute strangers in order to become pregnant. Adoption is not the only way for gays to become parents.

As for school yard bullies, studies have repeatedly shown that it is not simply the unusual they seek out, but the weak and traumatized. Male chimps will occationally torture and kill baby chimps, even eating them once the fun is over. I have to agree with Zantra on this, if preventing bullying, inhumane behavior, and such things are really your interest then I suggest you address them directly.

In the last annonymous survey of public school faculty fourty percent of these school admitted to having an unspoken unoffical policy of not interfering with student on student violence. In this day and age of Collumbine I would assume people would take an active rather than a reactionary stance on such an issue. Perhaps that is too much to ask....
  21. Aug 2, 2003 #20
    It is common for people to 'blame the victim', isn't it? If people pick on homosexuals, there is often the unspoken attitude that they deserve it, for daring not to conform.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?