Homosexuals to be hired in civil service jobs

• Thread starter Bubonic Plague
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil Jobs
In summary, the Singapore government has recently started allowing homosexuals to be hired in civil service jobs, with some people disagreeing with the move. There are some questions that arise from this, such as whether or not gays are really never born that way and whether there are any scientific studies on the matter. There's also the question of whether homosexuality is a choice or not. There are also other threads discussing the matter, with some people claiming that homosexuality is something that is born with, while others say that it can be "cured" through psychological means.
Originally posted by radagast
Perhaps you should do a literature search, there is quite a bit of research out there. One hard to argue with was published in the 1966 April edition of Scientific American - which gives the laymen version of a study on how it was fairly simple to increase the percentage of mice offspring exhibiting homosexual [later in their life, at puberty]. There has been much research, since, that supports and elaborates upon this. Some which contradicts what you say that logic states [which by the way isn't at all logical, without a boatload of assumptions, many of which have been repudiated].

It has to be made extremely clear, that when I use the term homosexual, I am referring to those who's attactions are toward those of the same gender, regardless of their sexual practices. If the definition used is different [practice vs attraction], then I am sure that what you say could and probably does occur.

Yes I do get what you're saying. That heterosexuality is innate regardless of other external factors that may influence that. I'm not debating that specific point because I haven't seen the study on that, so I can't say. It's down to somantics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Zantra
Yes I do get what you're saying. That heterosexuality is innate regardless of other external factors that may influence that. I'm not debating that specific point because I haven't seen the study on that, so I can't say. It's down to semantics.

Actually, no. I'm arguing that the research points to orientation (hetero or homo) being determined prenatally.