Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homotopy Extension Property

1. Jul 2, 2008 #1
    Can someone elaborate?

Let I = [0,1], A = {0, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, \cdots}. Show that the homotopy extension property does not hold on the pair (I, A).

Thanks in advance,

A

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2
    you have to specify the space you are mapping into...I will assume it is R. I'm having a little bit of trouble with this one. But, if you let f:I --> R and g:A-->R be any continuous functions such that f(1/n)-g(1/n) converges to 0 as n goes to infinity, then you can construct a homotopy H:AxI --> R and it naturally extends to a homotopy E:XxI -->R. So, you could look at what happens when f(1/n) -g(1/n) does converge to zero. I think this may be the way to solve the problem because there is a natural way of defining the homotopy H whenever this happens. For instance if f(1/n) and g(1/n) both converge to 1 as n goes to infinity. Then we can define a homotopy H = f(a)*g(t).

To me, it seems there must be two functions on A which are homotopic but do not converge to the same point. Once you have that the solution might be easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?