Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Honda CBR 600RR exhaust gases

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hi

I'm trying to find a value for the density of the exhaust gases emitted from a Honda CBR600 motorcycle engine with not much luck. I only need an approximate value so the density from a similar engine would suffice...

Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    Is your engine carburated or have fuel injection? Does it have O2 sensors on the exhaust and a temp sensor on the intake?

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Treating the fluid as air at the exhaust temperature will give you a good approximation.

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    I don't actually have the engine, I'm doing a design project on an after-market exhaust for my Uni's Formula Student car which uses that engine and wanted to do some pretty basic fluid mechanics on the outlet.

Re: Honda CBR 600RR exhaust gases
    Treating the fluid as air at the exhaust temperature will give you a good approximation.

thanks, I'll try that.

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5
    Most of the superbike engines have lambda sensors to detect the fuel/air ratio. It should shed some light on the density of the exhaust gases too.

7. Nov 22, 2008 #6
    What are you wanting to achieve with your design project?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?