Honda CBR 600RR exhaust gases

• Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exhaust Gases
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a value for the density of exhaust gases emitted from a Honda CBR600 motorcycle engine. It is suggested to treat the fluid as air at the exhaust temperature for a good approximation. The questioner is working on a design project for an after-market exhaust and is interested in basic fluid mechanics for the outlet. Another person suggests looking at lambda sensors for insight into the density of the exhaust gases.
bill nye scienceguy!
Hi

I'm trying to find a value for the density of the exhaust gases emitted from a Honda CBR600 motorcycle engine with not much luck. I only need an approximate value so the density from a similar engine would suffice...

Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is your engine carburated or have fuel injection? Does it have O2 sensors on the exhaust and a temp sensor on the intake?

Treating the fluid as air at the exhaust temperature will give you a good approximation.

Topher925 said:
Is your engine carburated or have fuel injection? Does it have O2 sensors on the exhaust and a temp sensor on the intake?

I don't actually have the engine, I'm doing a design project on an after-market exhaust for my Uni's Formula Student car which uses that engine and wanted to do some pretty basic fluid mechanics on the outlet.

Re: Honda CBR 600RR exhaust gases
Treating the fluid as air at the exhaust temperature will give you a good approximation.

thanks, I'll try that.

Most of the superbike engines have lambda sensors to detect the fuel/air ratio. It should shed some light on the density of the exhaust gases too.

What are you wanting to achieve with your design project?

1. What are the emission levels of Honda CBR 600RR exhaust gases?

The emission levels of Honda CBR 600RR exhaust gases vary depending on the model year and specific modifications made to the exhaust system. However, on average, the CBR 600RR emits about 1.2 grams of carbon monoxide, 0.04 grams of hydrocarbons, and 0.17 grams of nitrogen oxides per kilometer.

2. How does the exhaust system affect the performance of the Honda CBR 600RR?

The exhaust system plays a crucial role in the performance of the Honda CBR 600RR. A well-designed exhaust system can increase horsepower and torque, improve throttle response, and enhance the overall engine performance. However, a poorly designed or damaged exhaust system can decrease performance and potentially cause engine damage.

3. Does the Honda CBR 600RR have a catalytic converter?

Yes, the Honda CBR 600RR comes equipped with a catalytic converter as part of its exhaust system. The catalytic converter helps reduce harmful emissions from the exhaust gases by converting them into less harmful substances through a chemical reaction.

4. Can the exhaust system be modified for better performance?

Yes, the exhaust system of the Honda CBR 600RR can be modified for better performance. Aftermarket exhaust systems are available that can improve the bike's performance by increasing airflow, reducing weight, and enhancing the sound. However, it is essential to check local laws and regulations before making any modifications.

5. How often should the exhaust system be maintained?

The exhaust system of the Honda CBR 600RR should be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure optimal performance. It is recommended to have the exhaust system checked by a qualified mechanic at least once a year. Any signs of damage or wear should be addressed immediately to avoid any potential performance issues or safety hazards.