• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Honor Societies - Worth It?

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
Cod

Main Question or Discussion Point

I recently got invited to join Upsilon Phi Epsilon (UPE) at my university; however, my knowledge of honor societies is limited. UPE is specific to computer science and computer-related majors and sponsored by ACM and IEEE-CS. Bottom line, is it worth it to join an honor society if invited? How about UPE specifically?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Depends on the honor society. Generally, it can't hurt to have it on your resume when you're looking for a job after graduation.

turbo
Gold Member
You don't have to join a society, though. If you are a member of an honors program at your university, that will help.

I don't know how this might have evolved over the last 40+ years, but back then students with proven academic performance were offered access to some advanced courses and were assigned a mentor. It was pretty nice.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I recently got invited to join Upsilon Phi Epsilon (UPE) at my university; however, my knowledge of honor societies is limited. UPE is specific to computer science and computer-related majors and sponsored by ACM and IEEE-CS. Bottom line, is it worth it to join an honor society if invited? How about UPE specifically?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
It would seem worthwhile, but check it out to see if it suits one. http://upe.acm.org/

The affiliation with ACM is a positive. One could also be a member of IEEE.

Honor and technical societies are good for networking, particularly in one's professional field.