1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Honor Societies - Worth It?

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1

Cod

I recently got invited to join Upsilon Phi Epsilon (UPE) at my university; however, my knowledge of honor societies is limited. UPE is specific to computer science and computer-related majors and sponsored by ACM and IEEE-CS. Bottom line, is it worth it to join an honor society if invited? How about UPE specifically?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Depends on the honor society. Generally, it can't hurt to have it on your resume when you're looking for a job after graduation.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

You don't have to join a society, though. If you are a member of an honors program at your university, that will help.

I don't know how this might have evolved over the last 40+ years, but back then students with proven academic performance were offered access to some advanced courses and were assigned a mentor. It was pretty nice.

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would seem worthwhile, but check it out to see if it suits one. http://upe.acm.org/

The affiliation with ACM is a positive. One could also be a member of IEEE.

Honor and technical societies are good for networking, particularly in one's professional field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook