1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Honor societies

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1
    I have been offered membership in a few honor societies, like Phi-Kappa-Phi. Is it worth it to join these societies? They cost money and I was wondering if being a member was a nice addition to my CV/Resume. On the face of it, these honor societies seem like a scam but I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with them. Thanks for any input.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2006 #2

Gold Member

When I was in high school, I was offered a membership to the Nation Honor Roll. So i paid and got this cool certificate. I'm yet to make use of it though. But I'd say go for it. Since Phi-Kappa-Phi has very elite membership requirements.
  4. Dec 18, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're primarily just resume-fodder, but you might also meet some people who can hook you up with job opportunities. If you really need some extra items to put on your resume, go for it. The truth is that if you resume is already strong to begin with, no one's going to care about the honor societies.

- Warren
  5. Dec 20, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

The coolest thing about joining Tau-Beta-Pi in my undergrad school was that we did free tutoring for other students. That was kind of fun. (Even though the main reason I joined was for resume-fodder.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?