Is HonorSociety.org Legitimate?

• Thread starter Von Neumann
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an organization called HonorSociety.org that sends out emails to individuals claiming they have been accepted into the society based on a nomination and their academic record. There are doubts about the legitimacy of the organization as they are asking for personal information and there is little information about the organization's history or leadership on their website. Some members of the conversation have received the email and are questioning if it is a legitimate offer or just a scam. The general consensus is that it is spam and not a real honor society.
Von Neumann
Anyone every hear of HonorSociety.org? I recently got an email saying I was accepted into the society via a nomination & my academic record. It's asking for info & I'd like to know it's legitimate before I fill it out.

Here's a link to their site: www.honorsociety.org

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of it. I can't find anything on the website about the history of the organization or who runs it: officers, advisory board, or whatever.

This is a pay site so consider the invitation an advertisement. This is a lot like the whoswho of high school students where you pay to get listed in a book. I think they are preying on students wanting to be a part of the Natl Honor Society by using a similar name.

There is a organization called the National Honor Society that inducts academically gifted students based on an application and on teacher recommendations. When I was a HS student it didn't require you to fill out an application, you found out at a Natl Honor Society meeting at your school where students were called out of the audience and your parents were watching from the wings just out of view.

At that time, teachers would secretly nominate you. Benefits included self signout at studyhalls where you were on your honor to signout where you were going. I used to signout as 'out' and went either to the library or the music department to hang out until one studyhall teacher grounded me once for my lack of accuracy.

The website for the Natl Honor Society is: http://www.nhs.us/

and its About page tells you its long history.

I got the same email. I haven't responded yet. jedishrfu, it's not really clear if you're saying this is a good idea or not.

Last edited:
I don't know if I trust the validity of this organization.

I got an email about it, and the university immediately emailed saying they had no affiliation with it.

Sounds like I should probably just ignore it. Thanks guys.

wifi said:
I got the same email. I haven't responded yet. jedishrfu, it's not really clear if you're saying this is a good idea or not.

To be clear its not a good idea. The site is trying to make money by flattering you and by tricking you into thinking its like the real Natl Honor Society.

Von Neumann said:
Sounds like I should probably just ignore it. Thanks guys.
Valid/legitimate institutions do not solicit membership. Ignore the email as spam.

It's definitely spam. They hit my HS graduating class hard.

Stupid, isn't it?

Astronuc said:
Valid/legitimate institutions do not solicit membership. Ignore the email as spam.

Yeah, I was just double-checking. Thanks Astronuc.
HayleySarg said:
It's definitely spam. They hit my HS graduating class hard.

Stupid, isn't it?

Indeed. I was proud/flattered before I realized it was a hoax. Oh well.

I think it's an honor to be a member here on PF, Von Neumann. :approve:

Likes 1 person
At work we'd get these ""Who's Who" invitations all of the time. Same thing, bogus.

Just because it wasn't real doesn't mean that you're not tops Von Neuman.

Meh. In my day we used to be scammed by Nigerian princes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f61KMw5zVhg

I always appreciate how nice everyone is on PF. :smile:

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f61KMw5zVhg

I WAS JUST WATCHING THIS.

*raspy hyper-ventilation*

It's very good. Good thing to live by.

Someone I know who got left back one grade due to his grades received this same offer, lol...

PhizKid said:
Someone I know who got left back one grade due to his grades received this same offer, lol...

I wasn't aware you knew about that.

Sssssh!

Eh. I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for rubbing it in, Phizkid.

1. Is HonorSociety.org a legitimate organization?

Yes, HonorSociety.org is a legitimate organization that has been recognized and accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has been in operation since 2007. It also has partnerships with reputable companies and universities, demonstrating its credibility.

2. What benefits does HonorSociety.org offer?

HonorSociety.org offers a range of benefits to its members including access to exclusive scholarships, networking opportunities, career resources, and discounts on various products and services. It also provides opportunities for members to participate in leadership and community service activities.

3. How does HonorSociety.org select its members?

HonorSociety.org has a rigorous selection process for its members. Students must meet specific academic requirements, including a minimum GPA, to be invited to join. They must also demonstrate leadership, character, and service through their extracurricular activities and community involvement.

4. Does joining HonorSociety.org guarantee success?

No, joining HonorSociety.org does not guarantee success. However, the organization provides its members with valuable resources and opportunities that can help them excel academically, professionally, and personally. Ultimately, individual effort and determination are key factors in achieving success.

5. Is HonorSociety.org worth the membership fee?

This is subjective and depends on the individual's personal goals and needs. HonorSociety.org offers a variety of benefits and opportunities that can be valuable to some individuals. It is important to carefully consider the benefits and weigh them against the cost before deciding if it is worth the membership fee for you.