Calc II Honors: How Different from Standard?

In summary, depending on the professor, an Honors section may be harder or easier than a standard section.
Apost8
In general, how much different is an Honors section from a standard section? I have the option of registering for Calc II Honors next semester; however, I've never taken an Honors level class before so I'm a little hesitant.

Physics news on Phys.org
ApostS, it all depends on the professor. I took honors calc 3, but he taught the same material for calc III regular but an hour a week a group of us would meet and discuss problems he wanted to discuss.

It was the easiest honors and the only honors I've taken. I took it because I thought it might look good but really, if you only take 1 honors course it doesn't matter.

But if your taking it for the material because you find calculus too easy, not because it might look good on a resume, then i suggest you do take it.

Also if you in honors already your required to take Honor classes.

Apparently, this class only has a total of 5 seats, whereas the standard Calc II has ~30.

A class for 5 people? I'm skeptical of why that's so low. As for the differences, maybe you should talk to your current calc prof. or the one who's teaching the honors section.

If the school is small it maybe that big, i know when i was at penn state dubois, the number of engineering majors were so low, that i was the only person in EE210, and i was with one other student in CSE 271/275 i see your from PSU too, w00t.

Since it is only 5 people, you are sure to have an interesting class (Reed has a couple classes with only 2 people and the professor, and they are very interesting (I got to sit in on one before)).

And besides a little more rigor in calculus is not going to hurt you much.

I would jump on it, but if you are still not sure, find out what book you use and see if you can read the first chapter without wanting to scream.

these questions can only be answered by your prof. one mans honors cousre is another mans mickey mouse cousre or anothers back busting analsis intro.

Mickey Mouse course? Sounds like fun. I hope there're enough seats for Zz.

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to talk to someone in the Math Dept. about it and see what they think.

1. What is the difference between Calc II Honors and Standard Calculus?

Calc II Honors is an advanced level of Calculus that covers more complex topics such as integration techniques, series, and polar coordinates. It also involves a deeper understanding of the concepts and requires a higher level of mathematical reasoning compared to Standard Calculus.

2. Who should take Calc II Honors instead of Standard Calculus?

Calc II Honors is designed for students who have a strong foundation in Calculus and are looking for a more challenging course. It is recommended for students who plan to major in mathematics, engineering, or other STEM fields.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking Calc II Honors?

Yes, it is typically recommended to have completed Calculus I before taking Calc II Honors. Some schools may also require students to have a certain GPA or score on a placement exam to enroll in the course.

4. What can I expect to learn in Calc II Honors?

In Calc II Honors, you will learn more advanced techniques for integration, such as integration by parts and trigonometric substitution. You will also cover topics like sequences and series, polar coordinates, and parametric equations. The course will also focus on developing problem-solving skills and understanding the theoretical concepts behind the mathematics.

5. Will taking Calc II Honors give me an advantage in college?

Yes, taking Calc II Honors can give you a strong foundation and prepare you for higher level math courses in college. It can also demonstrate to colleges that you have a strong aptitude for mathematics and can handle challenging coursework. Some colleges may even offer credit or advanced placement for students who have taken Calc II Honors in high school.