1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Honors Freshman Mechanics Book?

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    I'm a freshman Physics major, currently studying intro Electromagnetism. I've recently started trying to get ahead of my school curriculum, so I'm working my way through Purcell instead of Giancoli, which my class uses. Anyway, I'm loving Purcell. It pushes me, since I'm not used to problems of that depth, but I can still get satisfying answers to all of them, even the ones in the back, if i work at them. But I'm starting to realize just how lame my mechanics introduction with Giancoli was in comparison. So I'm looking for a mechanics book I can review that's more at the level of an honors freshman course like Purcell is. I looked at Berkeley Volume One already, but its organization and style just rubs me the wrong way, I can't seem to get into it. Multiple suggestions are appreciated, since my library might not have some books.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    Kleppner, Introduction to Mechanics.

4. Apr 23, 2012 #3
    Without a doubt.... Introduction to Classical Mechanics by David Morin

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    Hah. Figures. I'd already looked for those two books at our library. My university doesn't have either one =-(

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5
    Are you in the US? If so, libraries have statewide networks that share books. I can order any book online to be delivered to any library in my city in less than 5 days. I've never not been able to find a book in this statewide network, regardless of topic. It covers all college/university libraries as well as normal ones. Coincidentally, my state university's library had Kleppner but not Purcell. (So I just ordered it.)

7. Apr 23, 2012 #6
    Option 1: Request your library to order it. I actually tried for a book just cuz and they actually notified me a few weeks later that they have it and I should pick it up.

Option 2: Buy it. A book like Morin's will definitely be a good investment, especially for your upper-division mechanics class as it contains a lot of practice problems with solutions.

Oh and by the way, this is more of an upper-level mechanics text than an honors freshman one but I think you would also enjoy and be able to understand Taylor's Mechanics text.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  8. Apr 24, 2012 #7
    what are the prerequisites for landau's mechanics textbook?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook