1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Honors Societies

1. Apr 2, 2006 #1
    Are they worth it???? At my school there is no national Mathematics or Applied Mathematics honors societies. But I got invited to Golden Key. I'm wondering if it is worth it to join Golden Key? Maybe not even for recognition but maybe just to meet more people?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For me, the only thing I thought Golden Key might have been good for was getting jobs, at least, that's what they say. If possible, I would go and try to talk to current members of Golden Key and see if it has done anything for them. If you get the sense that it really does give you a good leg up in getting a job, then it may be worth the $80/$90 dollars they ask from you.

4. Apr 2, 2006 #3
    i plan on going to grad school immediately after undergrad for my ph.d in mathematics. i guess it would be worth it just to meet new people

5. Apr 3, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Couldn't hurt, I guess. Go to their website, look up your local chapter, and see what kind of events they have, and how often they have them. If it looks like it's worth the money, then do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?