Plotting Length of Spring vs Load: Find Unloaded Length & Extension

In summary, the conversation discusses the results obtained when a spring was stretched, and how they can be used to create a graph of length of spring against load. The conversation also mentions using the graph to find the unloaded length of the spring, the extensions produced by a 7.0N load, and the load required to increase the length of the spring by 5.0cm. There is a disagreement on the correct value for the unloaded length of the spring, with the book stating it as 10cm while the graph shows a difference of 1.8cm. The conversation also mentions the abscissa, which refers to the horizontal axis of the graph.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

The following results were obtained when a spring was stretched:
Load/N: 1.0 3.0 4.5 6.0 7.5
Length of spring/cm:12.0 15.5 19.0 22.0 25.0

A) use the results to plot a graph of length of spring against load.
b) use the graph to find the:
i) unloaded length of spring
ii) extensions produced by a 7.0n load
iii) load required to increase the length of the spring by 5.0cm

Attachments

• line_3BB501F6.png
    line_3BB501F6.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 575
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have used the graph that i created for the first question and get 10.2cm but the ans is 10cm so where i see a 1.8 difference of the graph the book i use sees a 2cm, so i can work out the other questions without doing the first can someone tell me where I am going wrong?

The plot should be linear. Your second point seems a little off. If you draw a line connecting points 1,3,4,5, it passes through 10 on the abyscissa.

Don't connect it back to 0,0 as you have done. It's length is not zero when the load is zero.

my maths is a little rusty could you please explain the abscissa, I can remember it has something to do with the x-axis for the carstine method ( I think ).

The abyscissa is the horizontal axis. You should not be drawing a line from (0,0) to
(12,1). Your data point at (15.5,3) does not line up with the others so if you forget about it and extrapolate the others to the abyscissa, you'll get what you seek.

1. What is the purpose of plotting length of spring vs load?

The purpose of plotting length of spring vs load is to visualize the relationship between the amount of load applied to a spring and the resulting change in its length. This can help in determining the spring's characteristics, such as its stiffness and maximum load capacity.

2. How do you find the unloaded length of a spring?

The unloaded length of a spring can be found by measuring the length of the spring when it is not under any load. This can be done by placing the spring on a flat surface and measuring from one end to the other using a ruler or caliper.

3. What is the extension of a spring?

The extension of a spring refers to the change in its length when a load is applied. It is typically measured in units of length, such as inches or centimeters, and can be calculated by subtracting the unloaded length from the length of the spring under load.

4. How does the length of a spring change with increasing load?

The length of a spring will typically increase as the load applied to it increases. This is due to the spring's elastic properties, which allow it to stretch and store energy when a load is applied. The relationship between length and load can be visualized through a plotting of length vs load.

5. Can the length of a spring be accurately predicted using a length vs load plot?

While a length vs load plot can provide valuable information about a spring's characteristics, it may not always accurately predict the exact length of the spring under a certain load. This is because other factors, such as the material and manufacturing process of the spring, can also affect its length. It is important to use the plot as a guide and conduct physical measurements for accurate results.