Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's law and angular freq.

1. Aug 19, 2005 #1
    hmm ok, i was watching the MIT opencourseware video on oscillations and there was a part where it was mentioned that,

the diff. eq. [tex] x''+ \frac {k}{m} x = 0 [/tex] has solution [tex] x= x_0 cos (\omega t + \phi) [/tex] if and only if [tex]\omega= \sqrt{\frac {k}{m}} [/tex]

how do i show that omega is the sqaureoot of k over m? thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Differentiate the solution twice with respect to time and substitute it back into the differential equation - then tell us what you discovered! :)

4. Aug 19, 2005 #3
    ohhh, i see, it can be gotten by verifying the solution. I thought we needed to do something to hooke's law, but verifying the solution works great too.

: )

edit: a tinge of doubt crosses my mind though. When we solve the original differential equation, we get the solution in terms of k, m and x and no omega. While verifying the solution works when the solution is given, and we see that [tex]\omega= \sqrt{\frac {k}{m}} [/tex]. How do we know that [tex]\omega= \sqrt{\frac {k}{m}} [/tex] when we are solving it?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  5. Aug 19, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you just substitute [itex]x = x_0 \cos(\omega t - \phi)[/itex] into the differential equation the required value of [itex]\omega[/itex] will jump out at you!

6. Aug 19, 2005 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this case, [tex]\omega[/tex] is referring to the angular frequency, which is the multiplicative factor in front of the independent variable in the sine or cosine function. It's just a standard substitution that they probably just didn't bother to define.

7. Aug 21, 2005 #6
    try the following:

in your original ODE, consider [itex] \omega ^2[\itex] just as a mathematically sound way to express the positiveness of the factor [itex] \frac{k}{m} [\itex]. After all the calculations you will realize that this choice has proven itself useful and physically meaningful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?