Hooke's Law & Forces: Find Force Constant, Slope & % Error

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Hooke's Law and the difficulties the person is facing while writing their paper on it. They are specifically asking for help in finding the force constant, slope with units, and percent error. The other person suggests looking up the information, but the questions are quite general and there are various ways to find the answers depending on the situation.
Devileny
Hey there, I have a paper on “Hooke’s Law” due in soon and have ran into a few problem’s when writing it, first of dose anyone know...

 How to find force constant?
 How to find slope with units?
 How to find % error?

If you know any of the above, I would deeply appreciate the answer... anyways thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you look up any of these?
The questions are quite general and with wide possibilities.

For example in some situations you can find the force constant by reading the label on the spring or the manufacturer manual. You may not be interested in this method but how am I supposed to know?

Thanks for the reply, though what I ment to ask was generally how would I find

 Force constant?
 The slope with units?
 The % error?

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This relationship is represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

2. How do you find the force constant (k) using Hooke's Law?

The force constant can be found by rearranging the equation for Hooke's Law to k = F/x. To find the force constant, you will need to measure the force applied to the spring and the displacement of the spring. Then, simply divide the force by the displacement to find the force constant.

3. What is the slope in a graph of force vs. displacement for Hooke's Law?

The slope in a graph of force vs. displacement for Hooke's Law represents the force constant (k). This means that the steeper the slope, the greater the force constant. The slope can be calculated by taking the change in force divided by the change in displacement.

4. How do you calculate the percent error when using Hooke's Law?

The percent error when using Hooke's Law can be calculated by taking the difference between the experimental value and the accepted value, dividing it by the accepted value, and then multiplying by 100. This will give you a percentage that represents the amount of error in your experiment.

5. What are some common sources of error when using Hooke's Law?

Some common sources of error when using Hooke's Law include: not taking accurate measurements of force and displacement, not accounting for the weight of the spring, and not keeping the spring within its elastic limit. It is important to be careful and precise with measurements in order to minimize these sources of error.