Understand Hooke's Law and Spring Dynamics

In summary, the time it takes for the spring to compress after the object hits it depends on the mass of the object and the spring constant, and not on the initial velocity of the object. This can be found using methods of simple harmonic motion. Additionally, when a ball bounces up and hits a spring on a horizontal surface, the compression will be different due to the presence of gravity's potential energy.
daveed
allright, here is something i haven't been able to understand with just hooke's law

if i have an object traveling at velocity v, let's say, 4m/s , and hits a spring at, i don't know, k=2? so then we know how far the spring compresses and all because you just need to set the work done and kinetic energy equal, but what i have not been able to get is how long does it take for it to compress? because with a changing force(and so a changing acceleration), i don't understand how to find the time it takes to stop the thing

also, when your talking about a ball bouncing up and hitting a spring, the compression would not be the same as if it had happened on a horizontal surface, because gravity would also be doing work on the ball too, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
if the object comes and hits the spring again(after being pulled down by gravity) and hits the spring out of phase, will you still need to take the work done by the spring? also, what if it- let's take this with a spring vibrating up and down now- hits the spring above the equillibrium point, where the force on the end of the spring is downwards? how does the object behave then?

daveed said:
also, when your talking about a ball bouncing up and hitting a spring, the compression would not be the same as if it had happened on a horizontal surface, because gravity would also be doing work on the ball too, right?

YES, of course the compression will be diffrent because of the gravity's force...
In this situation you don't only have kinetic energy but you have the gravity potential energy as well. The equation will be this then .5kx^2=.5mV2+mgh (in the vertical bouncing)...
but if it ball is traveling a horizontal distance you don't have gravity's potential energy hence the x would be less...

I hope I realized your question correctly..

daveed said:
allright, here is something i haven't been able to understand with just hooke's law

if i have an object traveling at velocity v, let's say, 4m/s , and hits a spring at, i don't know, k=2? so then we know how far the spring compresses and all because you just need to set the work done and kinetic energy equal, but what i have not been able to get is how long does it take for it to compress? because with a changing force(and so a changing acceleration), i don't understand how to find the time it takes to stop the thing

[tex]F=-kx(t)=m\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}[/tex] (Newtons second law F=ma)

This is a differential equation with the general solution:
[tex]x(t)=Asin(\omega t)+Bcos(\omega t)[/tex]

With [itex]\omega=\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]. Applying initial conditions; say x(t=0)=0
[tex]x(t)=Asin(\omega t)[/tex]

The spring is totally compressed when:
[tex]sin(\omega t)=1[/tex] so [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2 \omega}=\frac{\pi}{2} \sqrt{m/k}[/tex]

And thus depends only on the mass of the object and the spring constant and not on the initial velocity of the object!

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement of the spring.

2. How does Hooke's Law apply to spring dynamics?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that as you stretch or compress a spring, the force applied to it will increase or decrease accordingly.

3. What is the equation for Hooke's Law?

The equation for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. How do you determine the spring constant?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement. This can be done by conducting an experiment and plotting the data on a graph to find the slope, which represents the spring constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law can be observed in everyday objects such as springs in mattresses, trampolines, and car suspensions. It also applies to more complex systems, such as the movement of molecules in a solid material.